New Bachmann Class 85 electric

Rate this topic

Bachmann has just released their first UK outline AC electric locomotive, an AL5 or a class 85 as they were later known.

A decent AC electric locomotive has been seen as a bit of a gamble for maufacturers, as they claim that electrics don't sell that well. Heljan released a class 86 a while back, which has been seen as a bit hit and miss, but the Bachmann 85 seems to be hitting the spot.

Anyway, I've always had a bit of a thing for electrics, so put my name down for an 85 when they were announced. I went for the final condition BR blue 85 which would suit my desired modelling era of 1985-1995 (one of many I have, sadly) and here she is.

Roof detail

The pan is a thing of beauty, streets ahead of anything that's gone before, and one place it really trumps the Heljan 86.

Now to do my best to resist the gorgeous electric blue version due soon.

006.jpg

017.jpg

012.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

006.jpg

017.jpg

012.jpg

010.jpg

008.jpg

That's a superb model Fran. After the mess that Heljan made of the 86 I thought Dapol might upscale their n model to 00. An all new retooled class 92 would be nice for pulling all those intermodal wagons that are available now.

Rich,

They're lovely Rich, recommended. Need to chip her and see how she runs. It's a pity about the Heljan 86, I have one and it's an utterly superb runner, and the underframe detail is lovely too. It's a pity about the pan and front. Hattons are now knocking some out for under £50, I'm tempted to pick a couple and join them with some Hornby bodies and detail them up.

A top notch 92 would be superb, would love an 81, 87 and a 90 too. I reckon they'll appear over the next few years.