Jump to content

Designation of CIE goods rolling stock

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

Somebody recently asked me why the standard covered vans built by CIE were called "H" vans. They were within the following series of class / type designations.


H. "House" wagons (4-wheeled covered vans)


I. Coal wagons (wooden bodied, later applied to standard corrugated "beet wagons", which of course weren't built soecifically for beet, but ended up being used for it long after all other uses for 4-wheeled opens had gone)


K. Small Cattle


Kn. Large Cattle


Knv. Large Cattle (vacuum braked)


T. Passenger vans known as "tin vans"


Anyone know any others?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use