How do retractable buffers work?

Rate this question

Railer

Question

Something that always played on my mind is how to the buffers retract when not needed and they can be be pulled out when standard coupling is used. Is it the case of a hydraulic piston is drained/ tapped off somewhere so the buffer can be pushed back when not needed and then the hydraulic piston is re pressurised when in normal use.

Is it the same for rolling stock Mk2/3s and for the push pull 201s.

7 answers to this question

The buffer when retracted is sprung as it is against the inner buffer housing which provides the resistance force as it is mounted against a stop plate with the standard rubber and steel disc arrangement. When extended, the saddle is placed on the buffer shank and it effectively acts as an extension of the inner buffer housing and is again sprung as before.

Hope this makes sense.

Ok, I'm just wondering how a person can push a buffer back by hand and it stays back when I see locos getting pushed/bounced back from wagon buffers when they release the brakes. If they have the force to push a 100 ton loco back how can a person fully compress one by hand?

No, the buffer head is not turned. To retract, the saddle is removed, and the buffer head is pushed back till it contacts the sleeve, which is the sprung part of the buffer. The buffer shank slides inside the spring, and is not sprung itself. To extend, the buffer head is pulled out and the saddle is fitted between the head and the sprung sleeve. When the buffer is retracted, the saddle is hung on the hook to the right of the picture.

• Informative 1