roof issue at claremorris- Help

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

Hi guys , My research into claremorris has borne much fruit and I can now quite accurately chart all the details of almost every structure, signals etc in the period 70-80

in that regard I must thank Alan O'Rourke or NewIrisLines who has provided me with an incredible record of the station and in particular details of the signals

One issue remains and that relates to the roof detail on the Northern end of the station building, This end wasn't commonly photographed as the other end facilitated ohotograpghy from the over bridge

first the current state of play , The area of interest is the roof of the current gents, ( it wasn't always the gents , it was also at the northern end )

The roof is now a flat roof, with a sky light and substantial stone walls

Screenshot 2015-11-12 15.05.06.jpg

A close up from my own survey , as you can see there is a shadow under the main eves that was indication of a gabled roof that was there in the 60s-70s

Screenshot 2015-11-12 14.25.33.jpg

This in the rather poor resolution can be seen here , note the main building lost a chimney along the way ( around 2000) and all of the three existing ones were rebuilt previously which suggests substantial mods were done to the main buildings , my understanding is the gents roof was gabled at that point , though its hard to see see, the 2nd attachment shows in it 1965 ( not long after the station was extensively remodelled )

In the first one below it looks as if there no roof, but I think its the camera angle

Screenshot 2015-11-12 13.57.45.jpg

A poor res closeup shows a gabled extension around 1965

Screenshot 2015-11-12 16.33.32.png

However for my period this is the relevant one ( © Alan o ROurke )

Note the right angled roof, is that glass ???

Screenshot 2015-11-12 14.43.28.jpg

heres another shot with it peeping out , again its hard to make out what this roof was made off ,

Screenshot 2015-11-12 15.14.09.png

Anyone remember, it may have been the gents loos by then, The buildings beyond it were used as " booking on" offices for the drivers as Ive been told

anyone have any idea what the middle corrugated building is, ( with the largest single chimney )

Edited by Junctionmad

9 answers to this question

PS: Looks like there had been two different buildings up against that gable at some stage. The shape of the gable scar on your 2nd photo is a different size and shape building to the one in the 3rd fotograf.

As I can make out the building around 1965 had a gabled extension and that the " scar" you see in my 2nd photo , I believe ( do from the third phot it looks completely missing !)

Then the roof was removed at replaced by a right angles structure as seen in the subsequent pics, I suspect it made of wood and eventually decayed and was then replaced later with a flat roof

Its that 2nd wooden ( ?) roof I, trying to work out, was it skylights , is has the look of a dirty conservatory style roof , but hard to tell

Edited by Junctionmad

As I can make out the building around 1965 and a gabled extension and that the " scar" you see in my 2nd photo , I believe

Then the roof was removed at replaced by a right angles structure as seen in the subsequent pics, I suspect it made of wood and eventually decayed and was then replaced later with a flat roof

Its that 2nd wooden ( ?) roof I, trying to work out, was it skylights , is has the look of a dirty conservatory style roof , but hard to tell

Not a lead roof is it?

Hi

That's a 'Lantrin' roof light, I reckon its done in aluminium glazing bars like they use in conservatory construction which was coming in vogue around that time. Sometimes there was no glazing in the ends, just a solid panel, and it's all built off a roof up-stand of 150 to 200mm high that trims the opening in the roof... if that helps?

Eoin

Hi

That's a 'Lantrin' roof light, I reckon its done in aluminium glazing bars like they use in conservatory construction which was coming in vogue around that time. Sometimes there was no glazing in the ends, just a solid panel, and it's all built off a roof up-stand of 150 to 200mm high that trims the opening in the roof... if that helps?

Eoin

Thanks , I googled Lantrin, and see what you mean. thanks for that