Incompetent and distasteful media reporting - MS-804

Rate this topic

Noel

Grumpy here. :( Why the media make such a hames of reporting tragedies like MS-804 is beyond me. The wild speculation as to cause without any established factual data is astonishing. Not to mention their total lack of research or understanding of basic aviation terminology. I wish they would also stop calling the FDR and CVR 'black boxes', they are bright day-glo orange and have never been black. Civilian cliches and google searching instead of investigative reporting!

The disproportionate frenzy of wall to wall coverage for days and weeks after such a tragic event seems distasteful and only adds to the trauma suffered by loved ones suffering grief. Approx 3400 people died of road traffic accidents around the world that same DAY, not to mention 000s of deaths in 3rd world countries from poor drinking water and preventable disease every single day - but much of the media seem just into sensational stories designed almost to entertain and shock, rather than inform.

Apologies for mini-rant. Need to drive a model choo-choo and calm down. Going off now to run a few black'n'tan MMs with sound.

This is a classic example - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36333664 - the second picture up from the bottom isn't an A320, it isn't even an Airbus, it's a Boeing 777.

I wonder if Boeing's lawyers might be interested...?

I did inform the BBC over a day ago, but I suspect they feel it's not worth making it right, but they could just delete the daft picture.

• 2 weeks later...
This is a classic example - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-36333664 - the second picture up from the bottom isn't an A320, it isn't even an Airbus, it's a Boeing 777.

I wonder if Boeing's lawyers might be interested...?

I did inform the BBC over a day ago, but I suspect they feel it's not worth making it right, but they could just delete the daft picture.

They have finally replaced it with a better picture - a crop from this.

CjXvREvUkAAWjQs.jpg