Cavan & Leitrim queries

Rate this question

Phil3150

Question

A couple of long shots here: Does anyone know where there are any details of the cab interiors of the ex-CB&PR 2-4-2 tanks or the interior of the bus-coach 7L?

There are a number of photographs that show a tantalising glimpse of what goes on inside the cabs but I haven't found anything definitive. As far as the coach is concerned there is a partition between the van and coach sections and nine rows of 2 x 2 bus seats but what goes on inside the doors? There is supposedly a bench for the guard, but where? and a stove which seems to be in the middle of the doors on one side.

These are two signature items of rolling stock for my ongoing Bawnboy Road project and any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil3150

4 answers to this question

Phil

You can access the C & L loco in Cultra, getting inside possibly by appointment. Mention that you are researching. 

But that's not a CBPR loco...... dunno about the 2.4.2Ts, but seeking photos of another loco by the same builder might assist?

Regarding the coach, the seats were bus seats, all facing the one way. They had dark coloured plastic or leather covering - unsure of colour but probably well worn. And probably darkish green. The interior would probably have been painted a brownish colour. I know nothing of the van interior, unfortunately. Probably pretty bare, as just about everything was carried! The partition separating it from the passenger area probably had a central rather than side door.

As befits the name, this thing was made of two bus bodies. Research on bus websites might help, as internally they weren't altered by CIE. Is there anything in the Howth museum or does anyone know about 1930s GSR buses? Seats would have been fairly standard. What sort of upholstery did the IOC use, I wonder, or early CIE?

Edited by jhb171achill