Magorail car system

Rate this question

joe123

Question

11 answers to this question

Hi

I have some knowledge on Magnorail-

What is happening?

What length is the Magnorail chain?  if over 1.5m do you have more than one motor?

What are the radius curves your using?

Any other info you can give may help- especially photos of the Magnorail layout

Eoin

• Like 1

Hi Eoin Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I have the rail fully laid. And had the chain in place, with a temporary road bed laid on top. But I cannot get the right tension on the chain. Here are some photos. Thanks for your help. Regards Joe

A0160C88-9FB2-447D-BD32-CA29E43B66A5.jpeg

8DC4D70A-D266-4CCF-AD02-45ACCA93BE27.jpeg

3487DF18-C572-4CD7-9E14-7FC11A952CF9.jpeg

B6D10FDF-729C-4D17-9ED1-36A3AA34259C.jpeg

1B99ABB2-2040-4917-A9FC-8880EF2DA9F0.jpeg

065DB3C1-CD08-41F4-90AD-50645FCC3806.jpeg

Hi joe123

Thats a lot of Magnorail.

When you say 'cant get the right tension on the chain' - what do you mean?

Is the chain connecting up? or, Is the chain slipping? or, Does the chain run OK without cars on, and doesn't when their on?

In the third photo I see a rather tight curve! for a curve that tight one should use Magnorail's return loop (modified) which will reduce friction.

For 6 meters of soft curve rail you should have at least 3 motors- which may run up to about 6 cars. With the layout you have done and if you want to run more than six cars I would put a motor in per meter of track = 6 motors! If you use the return loop unit on the sharp bends or increase all sharp bend radius you may get away with 4 motors.

Am I right in saying that you have two separate Magnorail tracks of 6 meters long each? If thats the case you'll need to up the motors on both!

I know that might be not what you want to hear, but Magnorail is really designed for nice wide radius loops and small layouts!

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

Hi Eoin. The chain runs but then pops out of the rail. It’s one rail with 2 return loops at each end. I had all the chain connected up with a temporary road bed on top. No cars. But it keeps popping out of the track. Using 2 motors at the moment 

Hi joe123

If the temp road bed is held down somehow so that the chain cant push it up that might help! The chain relies on the under road surface to keep it down when there is to much friction. The reason the chain pushes up is because of friction on the bends- the chain on front is going slower through the bends than the chain following behind, the chain behind will go where the least resistance is- that's up if it can push the road surface out of the way!

More motors and return loops on those acute bends should help with countering friction- but do try fixing down the road surface first and test again.

It would be best if the chain glides around without the road surface on!

Eoin

Edited by murrayec