IRRS London Meetings

Rate this topic

leslie10646

The next meeting is on Thursday 14 November 2019 in the Calthorpe Arms, Grays Inn Road, London (near KingsCross).

Hope to see a few of my "English" friends there.

Leslie

“Downpatrick and County Down Railway”

by Robert Gardiner

19.00 – 21.45 in the Function Room of the Calthorpe Arms, 252 Gray’s Inn Road LONDON WC1X 8JR. (The room is accessible by stairs only.)

DCDR Chairman, Robert Gardiner, reviews the railway’s history and updates us on recent developments. From inception in 1985 with just a ‘field’, the DCDR has grown to become the only full-sized operational Irish mainline heritage railway Initially a new station building and workshop were constructed, and a line built to Inch Abbey including reinstatement of a river bridge. More recently, a new Visitor’s Gallery has been constructed to view the workshop, the former Bundoran Junction Cabin re-erected on the railway and an 80 Class railcar acquired.

BUSES TO THE CALTHORPE ARMS

Due to restructuring of the central London bus network, two bus routes passing by or close to the Calthorpe Arms have been changed and are no longer auseful means of getting to our meetings.

Route 45 (King’s Cross – Clapham Park) no longer serves Gray’s Inn Road. It has been curtailed to operate between the Elephant & Castle and Clapham Park only. 

Route 341 (Waterloo – Angel Road) used to pass through the junction between Gray’s Inn Road and Theobald’s Road. It has now been diverted away from that location (to a more direct route).

Other routes in the vicinity remain unchanged.

For further information, please check : www.tfl.gov.uk

• 4 weeks later...

Come and see me fall flat on my face this Thursday at 7pm at the Calthorpe Arms!

I'll be giving a first cut of the late Lance King's fine colour images of the railways of the Republic at a time of change - 1957 - 1963. My talk is followed by the Branch AGM, so I'll be on for about eighty minutes.

Although I start with a quick look at the Co Donegal and the Sligo Leitrim and Northern Counties, most of the show will be of short visits to CIE lines like the branches to Ballaghaderreen, Ballina, Banagher, Clara, Edenderry, Kenmare, Loughrea, Tullow and Youghal. I also plan to cover a fair bit of the Cork Bandon and South Coast Railway. 

Even a few diesels have crept in, but MGWR types in service, a few GNR and the inevitable J15s. Even a shot with 800 and 801 in the same frame.

It would be nice to see some of you living in the SE of England on Thursday.

Leslie

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

If any of you missed my talk -

WITH LANCE KING IN IRELAND - 1958-1963 - to the IRRS London Area in December,

I am repeating it to the

READING TRANSPORT GROUP on Wednesday 5th February 2020 at 1945.

The meeting will be held  on the first floor at Church House, Church Street, Caversham, next to Waitrose

Address for SatNavs is ;

Church House, 59 Church Street, Caversham, Reading RG4 8AX

If any of you are in the vicinity, come along and see some super photos f the end of one era and the beginning of another.

I can send more detailed location info.

By the same token, I am available for talks on this (and other subjects at your local Railway Society - just get in touch!

Leslie

• Like 2

Just a reminder that in addition to Leslie's above talk tomorrow, this Thursday 6th February 2020 is also the IRRS's inaugural meeting in Manchester, should anyone based in the north-west of England wish to meet likeminded Irish railway enthusiasts.

Details of this Manchester meeting, venue and time can be found at the link below:

http://irishrailarchives.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/IRRS-Manchesternew.pdf?fbclid=IwAR0F7CxJ9qSCdiwdbCRfRGxNUFKTgzyrhEH6abkfqkA5iqZDgK6xT0udmmE

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Dear friends

At the risk of blowing my own trumpet, the next meeting of the IRRS London Area (by ZOOM) is on Thursday 10 December at 7pm.

With Lance King in Ulster 1957 - 65: Part One  - The Great Northern

I shall be showing over 150 photographs in colour taken by the late Lance King between 1957 and the end of the Derry Road / Warrenpoint Branch in February 1965.

I shall take you on a journey from Belfast to Derry (not a huge amount on the Derry Road - Lance never seemed to get great light when visiting - about 30 slides in all), but then returning to Portadown for some very fine shots on the main line to the Border and the Warrenpoint branch in some detail. Mostly GNR steam - perhaps a dozen LMS locos to illustrate  a particular theme. Even a few B Class diesels on passenger and goods.

Lance was a superb photographer, so even if the commentary isn't great, the pictures will be!

Simply apply to get on our e-mail list (via irrslondon@hotmail.com) which means you will get codes for all future online meetings unless you unsubscribe. We will then automatically send you the Zoom code for the meeting.

To tempt you:

IQ23.thumb.jpg.d5c5c518186c15fce6abd297d0c66d0f.jpg

UTA No.66 (GNR 201 Meath) near Scarva.                                                      Lance King Collection, copyright IRRS

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Friends

IRRS London - Invitation to meeting by Zoom 7pm, 10 December 2020

Below is part of the notice sent to IRRS members for tomorrow night's meeting - given by yours truly.

It is almost entirely about the GNR in steam days, but there are a few slides of CIE diesels North of the border.

I can forward the whole e-mail to you if you e-mail me at

lesliemcallister@aol.com

834601905_EG10UTA38copy.jpg.073b53de4abc39aa29e801cb903ae70f.jpg

(ONLINE) 19.00 Thursday 10 December 2020

“With Lance King in Ulster 1957-1965 – The Great Northern” by Leslie McAllister

London Area Committee member, Leslie McAllister, pays a further tribute to our late founder Chairman, Lance King, with Lance’s colour photographs taken in the North of Ireland in the last years of steam. The 1960s saw a halving of Ulster’s railway mileage, but not before Lance faithfully recorded the Great Northern route to Derry; the Warrenpoint Branch; steam hauled passenger and goods trains on the GNR main lines; daily steam suburban trains into Belfast and the last vestiges of the Donegal narrow gauge lines. A heady mixture of nostalgia.

I (our chairman speaking!) have seen some of the images and Lance’s photography is first-rate.

Sit back and enjoy.

COPYRIGHT

Please note that copyright of the images in Leslie’s presentation lies elsewhere

and you are requested not to copy or record any part of it.

Doing so could lead to an infringement of Copyright Law.

The Society has, in the past, taken action to protect copyright.

ZOOM MEETING ACCESS CODES

To access the meeting, click on this link :

https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87087995244?pwd=alh0dkZ3M1VtSnNFaUNKYUpneXZtdz09

or open the Zoom app on your device and enter :

Meeting ID: 870 8799 5244
Passcode: 737374

Alternatively, you can join the meeting by telephone (audio only, no images) by dialling in on one of the following numbers and keying in the Meeting ID and Passcode when requested :

UK

+44 203 051 2874
 +44 203 481 5237
 +44 203 481 5240
 +44 203 901 7895
 +44 131 460 1196

Republic of Ireland

+353 6 163 9031 
+353 1 240 8941 
+353 1 536 9320 
+353 1 653 3895 
+353 1 653 3897 
+353 1 653 3898 

In any other country, you can find a local dial-in number from :

https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbmd5vlN9I

Please note that if you dial-in, you will incur a normal call charge for the duration of the call.

There are many 'How to join a Zoom meeting' videos on YouTube – for a selection, take a look at https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+join+a+zoom+meeting

JOINING THE MEETING

DISPLAYING YOUR NAME

LEAVING THE MEETING

ZOOM FAILURE

Joining

You can join the meeting any time from 18.30 onwards for a prompt start at 19.00 (although you can join later). The number of participants permitted by our software is 500, so there will be no problem in gaining access to the meeting.

Your microphone and webcam will be turned off (by us) when you join. You will have control of both but we ask you to leave them switched off until instructed otherwise.

On joining, you will be presented with (silent) images of Irish railways or other relevant information which will continue repeating until 19.00. Once signed in, you can go away and do something else until 19.00 (including working on your device provided you do not close Zoom down or try to use your microphone or webcam).

Displaying your name

When you sign in or once signed in, you can change your name shown on the Zoom screen. After sign-in, you can do that by clicking on your name in the list of Participants and then “Rename”, or if your name shows on your image, just click on that. Unless you wish to keep your ID confidential, please use a name that is identifiable.

For the AGM (which follows my talk at 9pm), that is an absolute requirement as we need to have a record of attendees.

Leaving the meeting

You may permanently leave the meeting at any time but if you do so, please digitally leave Zoom by clicking on the red “Leave” button and do not just walk away. For those remaining once the AGM is concluded, there will be an opportunity for informal chat between you.

Zoom failure

Zoom has its quirks and if there is a software failure (not unknown) either before or during the meeting, I will e-mail everyone on our London Area e-mail list with an update – so keep an eye on your Inbox if the meeting does not start or fails part way through.

• Like 2