Book: Irish Railways years of change 1956 - 1996

Rate this topic

Noel

An old friend of ours 'Gordon' passed away last week. He was our church pastor many years ago, and when he retired he gave me this book as a present. I had almost forgotten it until I rediscovered it this week. Delighted to have Irish Railways years of change 1956 - 1996 which documents the railways from the last days of steam through dieselisation and the GM era, from former GSWR & MGWR & UTA to CIE, IE and IR, and covers the entire island. This will make a nice read during these days of confinement. Thank you Gordan. Some fabulous photos. Gordon was an exceptional human being, a gifted teacher and a railway enthusiast, as well as being fluent in French, Spanish and Arabic. He died peacefully this day last week after a long illness. Forever remembered never forgotten. There is a map of the Irish railway network in 1956 and it is incredible how much was still intact then before it was later cannibalised by the growth of road traffic and lack of planning insight in the late 1950s as Ireland started its transition from a 3rd world rural economy to a hi-tech and agri food power house. Please forgive that I don't use the term RIP because I don't think Gordon is resting, instead I sense he is busy in a new life of purpose and joy, beyond our comprehension but perhaps best explained by the recent Easter season. Thank you Gordon I will enjoy reading this over the coming weeks. 

IMG_5488.jpg

Gordon on his retirement from Crinken Church 16 years ago

Gordon.png.4dfede02310ae9d54a4e5c81d51bd874.png

Edited by Noel
  • Like 3