points wire

Rate this question

controller

Question

4 answers to this question

On 13/10/2020 at 4:05 PM, controller said:

Hi, can someone tell me what strength wire I need for running from a controller to a capacitor and to a set of Seep self latching points. Am I right in calling these a bus wire? Also where can I get these wires?

Thanks ,

Controller.

I'd use 32/0 for the main bus from the capacitor and then 16/0 from the bus to the motors themselves.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-DCC-Layout-wire-Droppers-Track-Bus-Track-Power-16-0-2-24-0-2-32-0-2/321069274650?hash=item4ac138561a:g:zywAAOxy4t1SkIHy

On 14/10/2020 at 8:07 PM, controller said:

Thanks IT, for that information. I am using a Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance, a Gaugemaster capacitor and Gaugemaster PM4 points. Do I need a decoder to operate these,  or will they work without one ?.

Thanks Again,

Controller.

Just saw this @controller - that's a negative, you can use DCC for the track but don't necessarily need to use DCC or an accessory decoder to control points. You can set these up as previously done for DC layouts using a suitable DC power supply (an old DC controller will work nicely), a capacitor, and momentary contact switches (or push buttons) to switch the point.

Hope that helps!

I had to smile at the reference to an old DC controller. My DCC controller lacks an outlet for accessories, so to control my turntable, I have leads from my H&M Powermaster controller - bought in 1964, I think!

To control my points, I do use Digitrax's expensive kit, but, hey, why leave the money for my boys to drink away?

• Funny 2