DCC Chip fpr CI.121 MM0006 - Problems

Rate this question

Keano30

Question

Hello all and apologies if this problem has been resolved else where, I'm new to the model railway scene. I have tried to find any topics which might relate to this, unsuccessfully.

I have just bought the Class 121 - 130 Murphy Models loco and I also bought the MM0006 DCC chip to install in it. 

I'm using Hornby's railmaster pro to programme the loco but this is where I'm falling down. Initially when i programmed the train it worked, albeit the lights did not come on. 

The Primary address of the Loco is 003 but I wanted to change that to 130 so I could easily recognise it on the list of locos. This is where the issues arose. Once I rename the Loco ID to 130 it stopped working. 

Is there a way to reset the chip back to its factory settings? Has anyone else had this issue and how did you get over the issue? 

Any help would be much appreciated.

533612540_130onprogrammetrack.thumb.jpg.9f5a7abf673910134c5ce9c206766044.jpg1213129769_130-CVsprogrammed.thumb.jpg.9e689b7c5b0596de5fdae57641091e30.jpg

8 answers to this question

As per NMRA standards for DCC an address of 130 is a LONG address, so when programming the loco address be sure to specify that 130 is a 'long' address, otherwise you won't be able to control the loco. Most DCC system programming menus ask if a new address is short or long. If your DCC system programming menus don't handle this there is a convoluted manual way of doing this by manually assigning values to NMRA specified CV values, but that sort of manual set up went out with the arc. Suggest check the manual section for 'rail master' dealing with assigning loco addresses, or setting up a new loco. In the mean time if stuck simply reset the decoder to factor default by writing 8 to CV8 (ie CV8=8). This will reset your decoder and it will have the default address of 3 again (ie until you figure out how to specify 130 as a long loop address in programming mode)

43 minutes ago, Keano30 said:

Hi Noel thanks for coming back to me so quickly, so to reset the chip, CV8 (Manufacturer ID) I should change the "151" to 008, is that what you are saying? 

Noel that worked thank you. Just one other question. With this chip should the lights be working, do I need to do anything with the dip switches to get these light to turn on and off? 

On 20/2/2021 at 4:36 PM, Keano30 said:

Noel that worked thank you. Just one other question. With this chip should the lights be working, do I need to do anything with the dip switches to get these light to turn on and off? 

Cheers. If it was the MM branded ESU LokPilot project the lights should work as this was a custom project by ESU for MM. One think I noticed with the MM sound chip is the running lights and head lamp all come on and off together via F0, and there is no independent control of the headlam (ie its on when the running lights are on). The light mappings may not have been done correcty on the LokPilot. The only decoder I have come across so far that has everything right including lights, sounds, prototypical driving (ie braking, coasting, train loads, etc) is the WheelTappersDCCsounds ESU LokSound + ESU LokPilot projects. If you had the time and interest via unfriendly CV settings you could correctly map the lights and head lamps, alternatively JMRI decoder pro app makes this relatively easy to do if your DCC controller has an RS232 interface to connect to a laptop running JMRI. If the lights are not working suggest contact Murphy Models for a replacement decoder that is correctly programmed.

Edited by Noel

Ok that is all a bit much for me at the moment as I am new to this and these CV’s are still a struggle for me to understand. I have bought the Sound decoder for this now and the sound works great but yet again the lights are not working. I’ll make do for the moment until I have time later to rectify it. Thank you Noel

Thank you also Tarabuses appreciate the help.

On 21/2/2021 at 4:39 PM, Tarabuses said:
Edited by Keano30
Correction

50 minutes ago, Keano30 said:

Ok that is all a bit much for me at the moment as I am new to this and these CV’s are still a struggle for me to understand. I have bought the Sound decoder for this now and the sound works great but yet again the lights are not working. I’ll make do for the moment until I have time later to rectify it. Thank you Noel

Thank you also Tarabuses appreciate the help.

Cheers @Keano30. There might be a problem with the loco's PCB. If you contact Murphy Models directly there service and warranty cover is excellent. Perhaps send the loco and decoder to them and PM will promptly get it sorted or send you a replacement.

http://www.murphymodels.com/Sparesandwarranty.html

You can email them at: customerservice@murphymodels.com