DC to DCC

Rate this topic

cogleyl

Hi cogleyl, I don't have a layout as yet, as for DCC, with the many options of DCC controlers that are available, I would'nt think of anything else but DCC, I have a few loco's that have all the "bells & whistles" and you have the power to control every speed and sound of each loco at your fingers, for me it's like been a signalman, to send your trains at whatever speed you like, the choice is yours, but enjoy which ever you decide on, :trains:

Hi Cogeyl, DCC is the best way to go. You can fit decoder chips into your locos and hard wire DCC decoder chips into older ones. Cost would be around €20 per loco. A DCC controller can set you back anything from €100 to €1000. The best piece of advice I can give you is to choose your DCC controller carefully, I am planning to change mine to the NCE Power Cab 5 amp system. You can get an NCE Power Cab starter set for £136 stg and its a great system offering all the functions and easily upgradeable to the 5 amp system as your layout grows.

I found this link good http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/DCCtenreasonstogo.htm

The big advantages to DCC is constant power on the track, so locos can have lights on while stationary, you can run multiple locos on the same track at the same time at different speeds. You can fit sound to your locos. You can double head.

The list goes on.

Good luck with the changeover :tumbsup:

I'm thinking about changing my current DC powered layout to DCC, i was just wanting to know is it worth my while and also price ranges for me to do so?

It is worth your while,but it is expensive,especially if

you go down the sound route.Best thing is to go to a

show and ask people for advice.Weford show at Easter

is one stop,or if you could arrange to meet anyone on

this site who lives near you and has DCC.

Hi cogleyl, I don't have a layout as yet, as for DCC, with the many options of DCC controlers that are available, I would'nt think of anything else but DCC, I have a few loco's that have all the "bells & whistles" and you have the power to control every speed and sound of each loco at your fingers, for me it's like been a signalman, to send your trains at whatever speed you like, the choice is yours, but enjoy which ever you decide on, :trains:

yea this is one of the reasons i wanted to change over.

Hi Cogeyl, DCC is the best way to go. You can fit decoder chips into your locos and hard wire DCC decoder chips into older ones. Cost would be around €20 per loco. A DCC controller can set you back anything from €100 to €1000. The best piece of advice I can give you is to choose your DCC controller carefully, I am planning to change mine to the NCE Power Cab 5 amp system. You can get an NCE Power Cab starter set for £136 stg and its a great system offering all the functions and easily upgradeable to the 5 amp system as your layout grows.

I found this link good http://www.dccconcepts.com/index_files/DCCtenreasonstogo.htm

The big advantages to DCC is constant power on the track, so locos can have lights on while stationary, you can run multiple locos on the same track at the same time at different speeds. You can fit sound to your locos. You can double head.

The list goes on.

Good luck with the changeover :tumbsup:

thanks for the info, also i dont know if u can convert my lima A class like the loco in the link http://irishrailwaymodels.info/images/562LIMA%20HO%20Supertrain%201.JPG

also the stationary loco and coaches with lighting is very appealing to me.

It is worth your while,but it is expensive,especially if

you go down the sound route.Best thing is to go to a

show and ask people for advice.Weford show at Easter

is one stop,or if you could arrange to meet anyone on

this site who lives near you and has DCC.

i have been working at the show since it started which is where i first saw DCC (also by working i mean walking around all day looking at the layouts)

thanks for the info, also i dont know if u can convert my lima A class like the loco in the link http://irishrailwaymodels.info/images/562LIMA%20HO%20Supertrain%201.JPG

also the stationary loco and coaches with lighting is very appealing to me.

Yes you can convert your Lima a class to DCC by wiring in a 8 pin harness,but to be honest

Lima motors don't run very well with DCC as slow speed running is very poor.

Before you run into DCC do try to meet up with someone and ask questions as

It can be off putting with all the lingo.I am no expert,but have had plenty of friends

to help with advice.

Hi All

Further to comments reguarding converting Lima locos to DCC

I have converted over 40 Lima including some with sound and extra lights

and all run great on low speed

The only thing you have to do is to completely strip the motor bogie and

Clean ALL the gears and oil the moving parts lightly I also replace the wiring at the same

time it is a straightford job I use some wiring harness with 8 pin Sockets or just wire in

Directly

I will be at the Wexford Show as I am a Wexford M R C Member please PM me if you have any Questions

David Wexford