Scratchbuilding a bubble cement

Rate this question

iarnrod

Question

I want to have a go at scratchbuilding some bubble cement wagons and was wondering if the wagon guru's on here can point me in the direction of suitable commercially available parts such as leaf springs, j irons, w irons, levers that would be close in looks to those on the bubble cement wagons. Thanks.

7 answers to this question

It is said that the Dapol prestwin chassis is best and has many parts that can be used to make pipes and other detail for the bubbles as well as just being useful for a chassis. Studio Scale Models supply a brass detailing kit for the detail on the tanks and also a set tranfers. I'm just wondering how you plan to make the tanks as I have tried using the old kinder eggs and found them to be a bit too small so I began gluing two of the smaller ends of the current kinder eggs to a piece of pipe to get the correct length.

As GM171 saidThe Dapol Prestwin is probably the best starting place for OO. If you are looking at doing your own underframe Dart Castings/MJT produce a useful range of castings for springs, axleboxes and buffers, but nothing exactly suitable for CIE.

Edited by Mayner

Thanks Mayner. Will check out that site and also the Dapol Prestwin kit. GM171 I am thinking of sourcing the parts to make the tank from Plastruct items, as they supply the cylinder and also the dome shaped ends. Thanks again lads. Not the easiest way to do it, but then I suppose if I make one suitable looking tank, I can always check out casting it to make copies of it, as would certainly be the easier option rather than making each tank individually.

I am new to modelling but am currently trying this. I'm using the old kinder eggs, but extending them slightly to get the right length. They are probably a bit narrower than prototype, I've just finished filling/sanding the first one and I don't think it looks too bad so far. Currently trying to cut the floor to fit.

As already mentioned there are detailing kits available from SSM - I got some recently and they look good.

If anyone knows where I could get j hangars to add to the chassis let me know - I'm surprised that no one has done etches as there are so many scratch built wagons!