N gauge point control

Rate this question

Peter

Question

Howdy folks, 

It's been a while since I last posted. I've finally made some progress with my n gauge layout. I am looking for advice on simple point control. I have four points that I want to control remotely. Can anyone recommend a simple system to control them? Manual or electrical. 

Thank you.

5 answers to this question

Peter, I had excellent results using curtain wire (the white plastic coated flexible type used for net curtains) and fine brass wire running up the inside of it. The wire was turned at 90degrees up through a hole in the baseboard and through the centre of the tie-bar. At the other end it came out to the front of the baseboards when I pushed and pulled them to open and close the point. Worked well using small bell wire clips to fix it to the underside of the baseboard.

39 minutes ago, Peter said:

Howdy folks, 

It's been a while since I last posted. I've finally made some progress with my n gauge layout. I am looking for advice on simple point control. I have four points that I want to control remotely. Can anyone recommend a simple system to control them? Manual or electrical. 

Thank you.

Baseboard Dave of this parish has some nifty electrical point control rigs

Drop him a line or check out his website

http://www.modelrailbaseboards.com/point-control-system

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Peter said:

Howdy folks, 

Thank you.

For Cynwyd in N I used push wires under the baseboard which are the simplest. For Llanuwchllyn I am using side-action motors at the back of the layout operating the push-wires underneath activated by push buttons/CDU on a mimic control panel. See my threads on IRM.com on each layout for pics.

On 05/12/2017 at 4:15 PM, Irishrailwayman said:

For Cynwyd in N I used push wires under the baseboard which are the simplest. For Llanuwchllyn I am using side-action motors at the back of the layout operating the push-wires underneath activated by push buttons/CDU on a mimic control panel. See my threads on IRM.com on each layout for pics.

To illustrate: Push rods under Cynwyd

DSCF1362.thumb.JPG.d8a4f4d0ae0eabf5d07b0baba9509c53.JPG

Llanuwchllyn mimic diagram with push-to-make buttons controlling turnouts in pairs to make the road required:

DSCF1774.thumb.JPG.e2578bd508d5c6e921b8b69f7a18a41d.JPG

Thank you for the replies folks. I like the simplicity of the push/pull system. I'll use that. 

If I had several more points I could justify using motors and a control panel for them.

I'l get some photos of the layout online soon. Having a lot of fun building a layout from scratch. Lots of different skills involved. 

Peter