Handrail Bending - Methods?

Rate this question

Noel

Question

What are folks preferred method of bending handrail wire for locos and rolling stock? 

So far I've used a small needle nose pliers which can be a bit fiddly but has worked.  Have folk used better options such as jigs like the one below?

https://eileensemporium.com/index.php?option=com_hikashop&ctrl=product&task=show&cid=2562&name=handrail-grabhandle-bending-jig-4mm

bbe017.jpg

3 answers to this question

Hi 

The Bill Beford jig is very good I tape off both sides of the one I want and use  a pair of square jawed pliers to make first bend - this into the hole and then pull on wire as I bend on the outer notch some times a twist with pliers to get both legs in the same plane helps - as does making several more than needed to allow selection of the best.  

If making several differing lengths I start with the longest and if I mess up I can cut off excess and use on a shorter one, just saves on wire!

I was taught many years ago if making more than one thing a jig will help reproduction - and this jig has given years on service and has been borrowed by friends. Whilst reasonably priced makes a good club investment as on your own it might not get that much use.    

Robert  

Hi Robert

When you get the first bend done and inserted in the jig, then with the same pliers clamp the wire to the jig, you then adjust the wire so that the end through the jig is perpendicular, hold tight near the other end and then bend the end over the edge- if done correctly the two returns are then in the same plane.

Eoin

Edited by murrayec