Solder for brass kits 188 or 145 degree?

Rate this question

Noel

Question

2 answers to this question

I give completely contradictory advice to Andy :Dand recommend 139 or 145 solder with liquid flux Carrs Red label is a bit less corrosive and easier on the sinuses and soldering iron tip than yellow label. 

I would agree with Andys comments around cleanliness and the size of soldering Iron I found the Antex best with a long tip life 25 Watt suitable for most work, though I have a 55 Watt temperature control iron for brass and whitemetal work.

I find 145 gives better results than 188 for general work in loco and coach building. 188 is more free flowing and best for sheet metal work forming neat joints between accurately fitted components.

Dilute phosphoric acid is a more economic alternative to the Carrs fluxes. I use Ranex Rustbuster basically a phosphoric acid solution available in 250ml containers from the local hardware, not sure if there is an Irish equivalent. I dilute the Rustbuster 50% before use which goes a long way.

There are also citrus based fluxes available from DCC Concepts in Australia which is slightly less hazardous but expensive or rainwater readily available and hopefully even less hazardous

Edited by Mayner
  • Informative 1

I always use 188 fluxed solder and don't bother with flux,just make sure the brass is clean(glass fibre brush)and use a decent size iron about 30w,The only time the flux comes out is when i'm soldering the steel droppers on DG couplings and then its good old Bakers fluid ,still used some that was liberated from Swindon works at closure!,Andy.

• Informative 1