Silverfox Models NI 101

Rate this topic

PaulC

Having seen this loco today and yesterday at the Bangor show, I fancy getting one. They bare a striking resemblance to the Western and it’s always my favourite loco sitting at Cultra. Looking at the website I see it is available in kit form with the only requirement a Class 20 donar chassis. 

Has anyone built one of these kits and if so could they point me in the right direction of the donar chassis required?  Are they as detailed as the MIR kits with the etched brass?  Finally, I’d like to produce it in the blue so is there a suitable option in the Halfords range that would suit?

Thanks all for any help.

Paul

The silverfox Hunslet can be bought as ready to run ,or finished body ready to pop onto a bachmann/hornby class 20, or as a body kit with all paints transfers etc included. As I already had two class 20s I went for the middle option  they run well and look well too. The mk2 coaches are handy enough to paint in the blue/grey to match. I will check out what paint I used for you. Look up silverfox models/NIR locos. Ian

Thanks for all the feedback chaps. I’ll check Halfords to see if they stock the Ford Monday blue in rattle cans. I don’t have an airbrush and do not want to brush paint. 

The Bachmann class 20 chassis, is that any class 20?  Are they all the same?  Ideally I’d like a dcc ready unit to save the hard wiring process. 

Paul

2 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Thanks for all the feedback chaps. I’ll check Halfords to see if they stock the Ford Monday blue in rattle cans. I don’t have an airbrush and do not want to brush paint. 

The Bachmann class 20 chassis, is that any class 20?  Are they all the same?  Ideally I’d like a dcc ready unit to save the hard wiring process. 

Paul

Yeah they're all the same, earlier ones had 8pin, newer ones have 21 pin, but that's the only difference. Much better than the hornby chassis for smooth running and pulling power. 

• Informative 1