Is Tomytech TM21 a suitable Chassis for N scale 141?

Rate this question

purple

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi purple

The TM-21 is about the right length, a 141 is about 82mm to cab fronts (at 1:148), but you'll have a problem with the 141 walkways between the cabs with a chassis that has stuff above footplate level and flush with the sides- the width needs to be 10 to 12mm max in this area to keep in scale and you'll have to allow for the thickness of the 3D print!!

Eoin

Edited by murrayec

Hi 

I looked at the prints a while back and considered the tomix chassis but too wide over motor - but then considered powered coaches for a roundy sort of layout . 

The 071 I have has a body cavity 10.7 mm wide.  The latest farish class 20 is 10.13 mm over chassis so fits like a glove - and of course runs sweetly. The is 86 mm over the castings - but this could be shortened  by up to 6 mm.  The area that is over size is a bit that fits in the cab and would need a bit of narrowing - but not impossible . 

I will have  to check with the latest class 31 or a co- co unit if the bogies cross fit  to  power the 071 . But the  class 20 would fo nicely if not correctly for the small GM . 

You would need to use the latest chassis as the Poole based metal one is too wide over the motor magnet pole pieces.. 

The 201 is dead easy with a dapol 66 chassis  but the yet to arrive 59 should be even better .  

Farish Mk3s and Electra graphics allow a good set of trains easily  and the 4 wheel cement bubbles are made as 3D prints.

The latest mK2 bachmann coaches could be repainted into the MK2 set - need to mug a dutch van but I think the steam version is done already. 

The to come MK2E s could be repainted I am certain - Worsley works etches in 7 thou brass  would allow a gen car and catering.    Railtec do and can expand N gauge range.

2mmfs 9.42 gauge track would help the perennial gauge scale issues we bedevil ourselves!!

happy modelling

Robert  

As far as I recall the Shapeways/Valve Design CIE 121 & 141 were designed to fit the Lifelike SW9/SW1200 chassis and  the 071 was designed to fit the Lifelike SD7/9 chassis

The Lifelike SW9/1200 still appears to be available from the United States under the Walthers brand https://www.walthers.com/products/trains/locomotives-traction/diesel/sw1200/scale/n-scale

Microtrains SW1500 has similar trucks to the Irish locos at approx twice the price of the Walthers locos.

Atlas & Walthers appear to have discontinued their SD7/SD9 locos, but used models occasionally appear on e-bay https://www.ebay.com/itm/Life-Like-N-Scale-Locomotive-Item-7767-SD7-LOCO-GN-566/263241145597?hash=item3d4a651cfd:g:XFYAAOSwsPlZyYZ5

John