Mystery Wickham at North Wall

Rate this topic

DERAILED

Spotted this on eBay tonight. At first glance with tired eyes I thought it was an old sandite machine but no it's definitely a standard gauge Wickham railcar. I've never seen it before and never came across it in my travels down the years. I'm sure it's long been scrapped but I would be interested to know its identity and fate.

NTH WALL WICKAM 1983.jpg

44 minutes ago, DERAILED said:

Spotted this on eBay tonight. At first glance with tired eyes I thought it was an old sandite machine but no it's definitely a standard gauge Wickham railcar. I've never seen it before and never came across it in my travels down the years. I'm sure it's long been scrapped but I would be interested to know its identity and fate.

NTH WALL WICKAM 1983.jpg

That's a British one, I think. The Bell container, I guess, is a visitor; the pic is in Brexitland. The track looks (British) standard gauge, as does the (blue!) wagon. That is a standard design of Wickham car seen all over the world, but I am unaware of any here at any time, other than a slightly longer one the GNR had at some stage.

If the seller is trying to pass it off as Irish, I'd be pretty certain they're mistaken.

Plus the pylons in the background - doesn't look very North Wallish!

• Like 1

The skip appears to have "Berring" on it - I had hoped this might close down on a location, but I've come up with nothing.

The logo on the Wickham doors means nothing to me, either.

eBay has suggested this item to me today, with an indication that it is British.

The 'style' of the site looks South Wales or North East England to me - possibly.