Famous Irish locations

Rate this topic

Hi Guys believe it or not but this is railway related.

For those of you that have seen or read Modelling the Irish Narrow Gauge by the late David Lloyd, you will be aware of his freelanced layout called 'Coolcalaghta'. So far I have yet to get to Ireland for a field trip (Covid stopped me doing that this year).

However what I am trying to do is to find out more about a West Cork / Bantry Bay character by the name of Austin Twomey, his clam to fame is that he used to dress up as an admiral or suchlike to welcome dignitaries to Bantry in the late 1950 /1960's.

David had on his layout a small cottage based on Austins House, but so far I can not find any photos of this house on the web, so I can copy it for my own layout. If we have anyone living in or near Bantry and knows the house in question, can I ask you to take a few photos of it for me.

On a separate note for both 4 and 7mm modellers I have just spoken to Roger from Alphagraphixs and he tells me he is hoping to do a few more Irish buildings and shop fronts.

I have said I would let you guys know and if there are any buildings in Ireland that could be made into good models, can I ask you to contact me off list. Ideally I could do with some decent photos of the subject or at least a link to it from the web, sadly my computer does not like to play with Google maps for some reason, at the moment, so I can't send him a direct link at the moment. To give you one of the types I am looking for is a typical Irish Creamery style building.

I do realise that there are regional differences in Irish Buildings so, please don't be put off by this, as the more information about these buildings the better the chances a building getting done from Cork along with something else from say Ballymeana.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 5

There is a company over here that do 3D figures, if I can get enough information about the man it might be worth a try, I hope they will have a few clear photos of him without the loudhailer and some details such as just how tail he was etc the important bits are his face and hands as to costumes I am sure we can find something suitable on line.

Colin 

• Like 1

That looks like a doorway of some kind he’s standing in. Can probably roughly scale off that. I don’t think he rivalled DeValera in the height stakes ! I’m not that tall myself but I won’t be volunteering to be scanned by ModelU dressed like that…..

To be honest, you could get an HO scale Preiser station master or policeman and stick a few shiny dots of paint on and it would look fine. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2

He does have a 'smaller than average' look about him, and the viewpoint of the camera, if it is being held by a photographer standing on ground at the same level and using a viewfinder, would tend to agree him being somewhat below six feet - so an H0 figure would be about right.

It might be possible to determine the model of loudhailer that he's using, but the perspective makes that of dubious use in scaling things a couple of feet behind the front of it.

Maybe the BHS will come up with some more directly obtained data.

• Like 2