Murphy Models Class 121 Lights problem

Rate this topic

MarklinVandal

Hi all,

I have a question about the lights on the 121 class model.

But as this is my first post - a brief Bio;

MarklinVandal refers to how I got into model Railways - before I was old enough to know better I went under a 6X4 Marklin Table that was at home and proceeded to cut many of the wires with a NailClippers apparently.

It languished until I was older at which point between lego and all the spares for the "Train Table" I had enough of an interest to fix it - It was sold after a while as I went through a couple of permutations of layouts through the years.

Currently the Junior Controller and I are gradually building a modular folded eight with an outside loop ( inspired by many Cyril Freezer plans).

Stock is an eclectic mix of whatever we fancy but the inspiration for the feel of the layout will be the circular Cathcart line in Scotland ( very Tenuous ).

The story of the layout thus far is here if anyone fancies a read and to see how slow it has been - https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=52479

On to the question.

I bought a model of 134 earlier this year.  I picked up a couple of Lokpilot 5 chips to see if they would do 187 ( bought so many years ago ) and I thought perhaps they might to 134 as well.

The Lights on 134 have me mystified this evening - as I read the Murphy Models sheet I understood them to be:
Turn on the Switches to the settings you want.  Then use F4 and F5 to turn them on. So I set the following to on - red rear, marker light cab, Headlight Cab.

Instead I Find F1 turns on the Red rear lights and F6 turns on The Headlight on the Cab.  I then went and turned all the Switches to on and I had the same result.

FSettings.JPG.a0bb12403c3855e38dd5c95a54dc905a.JPG

Ketley-187-134.thumb.JPG.71e950ab6d1a48fcb7b5752462c20e21.JPG

Am I doing something wrong? ( bought a chip that doesn't work with them) or am I reading the instructions wrong or......?

Cheerio,

Confused in Cork.

• Like 3

Did you check the lights on DC first. I presume they are all working as per the switches on the loco?

If you have multiple chips, install another and see what happens.

You could try to reset the decoder CV8=8 , goes to factory settings and all mapping goes back to that specified in the tech sheet, Loco address back to 3

One of the 121s has a lighting issue but I think it is 129 off the top of my head

Which Chip? 53614?

Edited by DiveController
  • Like 1

Hi 

You need to get the Murphy Models specific 121 non sound decoder for your 121 .

This decoder is set up specific for 121 only and will give all the required functions that are required for the 121 . 

Unless you have DCC knowledge of Mapping functions using the Lok programming / Decoder Pro with a Sprogg then I would suggest that you spend the extra euros , buy the specific decoder and enjoy your Murphy's 121 .     

You can use your Lok Pilot decoders on your Murphy Models 181.

Enjoy 

Thanks for the replies,

Yes - Checked it out on DC both before and afterwards and all is fine there with the Lights.

After going back to DCC I then had one of "those" moments.......  "Ah, If I had been looking at the bonnet end as well as the cab......." Yes, you guessed it, I had tunnel vision on the cab and didnt notice the lights coming on at the Bonnet end!

Anyway, this is what I found.

F0 = Bonnet Marker light

F1 = bonnet Red light

F2 = Cab Red light

F5 = bonnet Head Light

F6 = Cab Head light

It appears the only one I am missing is the Cab Marker light

RE the Chip I have - Lok Pilot 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4

At the time I bought 134 I didnt have the money for the sound chip and I thought I would do something later - "Just make sure not to miss getting one of the Locos!" ;)

A sense of technical curiosity now has me wondering how I can find where the Marker lights Joe,  do you have a reference for this -"Unless you have DCC knowledge of Mapping functions using the Lok programming / Decoder Pro with a Sprogg"?  I mostly use Hornby Railmaster for Programming my Decoders and I have a Roco z1 controlled either by a MultiMaus or from surplus iPad.  I have also used one of the Free Dcc Programming tools previously that could pick up the z1 - I dont have the Train laptop to hand say which one.

On the other hand, part of the sound track of my childhood was listening to various GM Locos going through their scales while they sat in Kent station waiting their next duty -My Father used to pick up Packages from FastTrack many an evening and I would go along and wander along the platforms until the paperwork was sorted.  there was inevitably one or more GM engined leviathan ( to me) sitting there with its engine note going up and down, or perhaps hauling something through the station.  So maybe I should go for the sound chip for 134 - She's certainly the most characterful Loco I have.

Cheerio all.

Edited by MarklinVandal

7 hours ago, MarklinVandal said:

Thanks for the replies,

Yes - Checked it out on DC both before and afterwards and all is fine there with the Lights.

After going back to DCC I then had one of "those" moments.......  "Ah, If I had been looking at the bonnet end as well as the cab......." Yes, you guessed it, I had tunnel vision on the cab and didnt notice the lights coming on at the Bonnet end!

Anyway, this is what I found.

F0 = Bonnet Marker light

F1 = bonnet Red light

F2 = Cab Red light

F5 = bonnet Head Light

F6 = Cab Head light

It appears the only one I am missing is the Cab Marker light

RE the Chip I have - Lok Pilot 5 DCC/MM/SX/M4

At the time I bought 134 I didnt have the money for the sound chip and I thought I would do something later - "Just make sure not to miss getting one of the Locos!" ;)

A sense of technical curiosity now has me wondering how I can find where the Marker lights Joe,  do you have a reference for this -"Unless you have DCC knowledge of Mapping functions using the Lok programming / Decoder Pro with a Sprogg"?  I mostly use Hornby Railmaster for Programming my Decoders and I have a Roco z1 controlled either by a MultiMaus or from surplus iPad.  I have also used one of the Free Dcc Programming tools previously that could pick up the z1 - I dont have the Train laptop to hand say which one.

On the other hand, part of the sound track of my childhood was listening to various GM Locos going through their scales while they sat in Kent station waiting their next duty -My Father used to pick up Packages from FastTrack many an evening and I would go along and wander along the platforms until the paperwork was sorted.  there was inevitably one or more GM engined leviathan ( to me) sitting there with its engine note going up and down, or perhaps hauling something through the station.  So maybe I should go for the sound chip for 134 - She's certainly the most characterful Loco I have.

Cheerio all.

I actually can't remember offhand which function output controls which light! I'll have a look at the Loksound file when I get a chance. You'll need some form of interface for programming the decoder as doing it with CV's is fraught with danger!