Paint scheme for semaphore signal poles

Rate this topic

Wexford70

Hi guys,

I am looking for information as to how semaphore signal poles would originally have been painted.

I believe the base and tops were usually black and the centre of the pole was white.

Was this the same for all railway companies? I know the DSER used lattice structures instead of poles, would these have used the same paint scheme?

In the 50s or 60s the silver paint was introduced I believe.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Edited by Wexford70

19 minutes ago, Wexford70 said:

Hi guys,

I am looking for information as to how semaphore signal poles would originally have been painted.

I believe the base and tops were usually black and the centre of the pole was white.

Was this the same for all railway companies? I know the DSER used lattice structures instead of poles, would these have used the same paint scheme?

In the 50s or 60s the silver paint was introduced I believe.

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Yes, pretty universal white with black tops and bottoms, though some had white tops too. 

Silver ones seem to have appeared in the late sixties.

27 minutes ago, Wexford70 said:

Were the lattice ones treated the same way?

I'm not sure about that, Wexford70. I have seen one picture somewhere of one such clearly painted in that normal style, but I don't know where it was (as in, on what line / company), nor when it was. 

What I do know is that as far back as the 1930s, the BCDR at least used galvanising rather than paint on some metal surfaces. Then you had the GNR occasionally using creosoted telegraphy-style poles for some signals!

You've got me wondering now - must start delving through pictures!

• Agree 1