Dingham couplings

Rate this topic

David Holman

Ordered a pack earlier this week, along with the excellent solenoid uncouplers. Therefore saddened to get my letter and cheque returned today with a note from Trevor Shaw's wife to say he had ceased trading due to ill health.

A real shame, not least because have standardised on Dinghams for years. The solenoids are built around an M6 bolt, so easy to screw into the underside of the baseboard and now need to find an alternative, I suppose - unless someone else takes over.

3 hours ago, David Holman said:

Ordered a pack earlier this week, along with the excellent solenoid uncouplers. Therefore saddened to get my letter and cheque returned today with a note from Trevor Shaw's wife to say he had ceased trading due to ill health.

A real shame, not least because have standardised on Dinghams for years. The solenoids are built around an M6 bolt, so easy to screw into the underside of the baseboard and now need to find an alternative, I suppose - unless someone else takes over.

Indeed they have. Dinghams now available here: https://www.gaugeoguild.com/onlinesales/default.aspx?scid=8 I am tempted to try them….

Edited by Galteemore
  • Informative 1

Thank you! Order just sent - not surprised as they are very popular and pretty forgiving, while (set up properly) can provide delayed action including on the move.

I have thought about S&W couplings more than once, but somehow they look far too like tension locks to me, while I've never liked the versions where a wire is soldered across the buffers. Indeed, don't really like the visual aspect of anything other than screw/three link couplings. The latter are just about ok in 7mm scale (though the former are the spawn of Satan!), but of course not really appropriate on a front operated exhibition layout. If only buckeye couplings had been used from the start of railways, because we'd all just be using Kadees.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, David Holman said:

but somehow they look far too like tension locks to me,

Yes, i can see where you are going with that one.  I have found however, that once painted they disappear into the background.  (*Cough*) except where you haven't painted the loop on the loco....

428054253_SWwagoncouplings2.thumb.jpg.77cdce1eee9907d2abe50eb252892b79.jpg

1723522841_SWwagoncouplings.jpg.6c8c5febd93e0e8fa5ecb599966d0870.jpg

I am with you on the wire across the buffers though - that's a step too far for me!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1