Availability of Sculptamold in Ireland - or Appropriate Alternative ?

Rate this question

Rush and Lusk

Question

Hello, 

Having completed, and learned so much, from my small scale Diorama, ("IKEA shelf Layout" - Irish Model Layouts), I'm at the planning stage of my larger layout. I plan to use extruded polystyrene board, amongst other material, for the basic scenic foundations and then proceed to more subtle topographical landscape formation (I used multi purpose polyfilla last time which was just ok - on top of the excellent woodland scenics plaster cloth). I have read/observed many modellers use "sculptamold"  for this purpose, but I've not been able to identify any suppliers here in Ireland. Can anyone inform me of a source in Ireland, or indeed a suitable appropriate alternative.  

Thank you, George.  

8 answers to this question

15 hours ago, N Scale said:

Hi George, 

i am at the same stage as you were last year looking for something to use like scultamold.  Seems hard to find in Ireland.

What did you use in the end?

@DJ Dangerous what was the name of the alternative product? The link doesn’t work anymore

If you search eBay for "Sculptamold" or "modelling plaster", there are milions of hits:

https://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_nkw=sculptamold

https://www.ebay.es/sch/i.html?_nkw=modelling+plaster

You can filter the results as you wish, only-EU etc.

I can't remember what the alternative product was called.

Hi N Scale and DJD,

I did explore "Sculptamould" availability - quite a few on line sources quoted on Amazon & eBay, none in Ireland however, but I didn't ultimately go down that road as yet.

For my current project (unsurprisingly to all modellers, progressing rather slowly as various other outdoor aspects of life get in the way 😀 - more focus now for the on-coming winter), Ive used a combination of Woodland Scenics Plaster Cloth as base material, then a combination of Woodland Scenics Lightweight Hydrocal Plaster (Marks Models), which has been great and some simple Polycell Multi Purpose Polyfilla (Woodies).

Hope this helps.

George 

• Agree 1

On 23/4/2022 at 4:51 PM, Rush and Lusk said:

Hello, 

Having completed, and learned so much, from my small scale Diorama, ("IKEA shelf Layout" - Irish Model Layouts), I'm at the planning stage of my larger layout. I plan to use extruded polystyrene board, amongst other material, for the basic scenic foundations and then proceed to more subtle topographical landscape formation (I used multi purpose polyfilla last time which was just ok - on top of the excellent woodland scenics plaster cloth). I have read/observed many modellers use "sculptamold"  for this purpose, but I've not been able to identify any suppliers here in Ireland. Can anyone inform me of a source in Ireland, or indeed a suitable appropriate alternative.  

Thank you, George.  

Extruded polystyrene (XPS-100 or 300) works well and can be carved with a knife or hot-wire cutter. Wexford MRC used it for their O gauge "Little Siddington" with wall plaster as a top coat. This is very tough and ideal for the job being available from any DIY outlet.