Photos taken with natural setting sun. It's amazing the difference real light makes!

Rate this topic

JohnMcGahern

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

Looks really well. Where possible, I’ve started only posting pics of Dugort Harbour which are taken in natural light, often about this time of evening (20:00-ish). Seems to look best, especially when it’s in an attic with overhead spotlights only.

Agreed.  This is in the basement (Canada) and the windows are at ground level so the sun is quite direct and on the horizon.

• Like 1

Spot on John and jhb171achill - lovely enveloping natural feeling light and warm tones. You can see I used a very similar lighting approach in my recent diorama "IKEA shelf Diorama" in Layouts. In fairness this form of lighting is rather difficult to achieve for those with a larger fixed layout in a darker room or attic space.   

• Like 2

Once I eventually get Dugort harbour finished (it was delivered still needing a few bits and pieces) and its extension, I've a long term plan to do a small "shelf" layout to showcase a South African H0 scale loco I'll have by then. It will be interesting to see if there are any circumstances in which I can recreate an "African sunset" in a suburban house near Dublin airport..... but we'll see. The whole thing of layout photography and lighting is beginning to interest me more, a throwback to a teen-and-twenties interest in photography. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Once I eventually get Dugort harbour finished (it was delivered still needing a few bits and pieces) and its extension, I've a long term plan to do a small "shelf" layout to showcase a South African H0 scale loco I'll have by then. It will be interesting to see if there are any circumstances in which I can recreate an "African sunset" in a suburban house near Dublin airport..... but we'll see. The whole thing of layout photography and lighting is beginning to interest me more, a throwback to a teen-and-twenties interest in photography. 

mexicofilter.thumb.jpeg.bdd1c5cb0c10e8c4ae62b5467bd251d8.jpeg

https://www.earthwonders.co/nature/how-hollywood-portrays-other-countries/

might be easier than you think ....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

With the quality of so much Irish RTR nowadays, much to be said for a photo plank - esp if you haven’t room for much of a layout. I’ve always had to build tiny layouts of late and they make great stages for experimenting- all the more so given the filters etc even a smartphone offers. Last year I had a play with some daylight and cotton wool…

5AD5015F-6C94-483B-BB6B-3CC383BE2D2D.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1