80 class maroon/ red ???

Rate this question

Robert Shrives

Question

Hi gang !  Steve at Railtec has indicated he could do the stripe for the white/ red stripe livery - also modified when on hire to IR.  but is concerned that if he was to use say BR maroon he would be a "moving target" as it would be a wild guess. 

so does anybody have the RAL number or a Pantone ref for the red ....

cheers

Robert 

6 answers to this question

39 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Hi gang !  Steve at Railtec has indicated he could do the stripe for the white/ red stripe livery - also modified when on hire to IR.  but is concerned that if he was to use say BR maroon he would be a "moving target" as it would be a wild guess. 

so does anybody have the RAL number or a Pantone ref for the red ....

cheers

Robert 

To use British Rail carriage maroon would not at all be off the mark. Having seen both at close quarters many times, both in pristine and worn / weathered / grubby states, to my eye they're as close as anything. 

It is worth adding that the original maroon used by NIR in their maroon / light grey livery, then their all-maroon hauled coach livery, followed by their "Enterprise" / 70 / 80 class maroon & blue - was all the same shade.

I should have added that the all-grey livery with central maroon band, as used on the sets which went south for a while, was again the same shade. I remember comparing a newly-painted one with a pretty clean 80 class power car in maroon & blue at York Road - definitely same paint.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Hi Robert,

Is this your quest to get IRM to produce an 80 class using their new Mk2 tooling..?

Cheers

Darius

Hi yes and of course knowing the shade of red does mean I can paint some lima MK2bs into the original Enterprise livery ensuring the powered surprise comes with suitably coloured coaches.  The coach pack with 812 as DBSO and the mkb2b in "bumble livery" aready means 2/3 of an 80 class is in progress - albeit a one off it was quite long lived. A no brainer when spending the good lads money.   Some discussion after IRM doing air con MK2s - clearly if an F type then the Gatwicks are easy fruit and would "only need" 8911... just saying - having yesterday started adding MIR translink transfers to an airfix Mk2 for "fun." 

Robert