For ME this was the Enterprise

Rate this topic

Flying Scotsman 4472

Very interesting request at RMWEB:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70393-nir-coaches/

I would like to add the question about the First and Second brake generator vans-

does they all look the same (except from the yellow stripe) ore are there differences in particular the grills.

At one picture of 912 there are also grills at the opposite side, at another picture it looks like one carriage has "Aircon style" windows.

From a relatively regular 1970s/80s/90s passengers veiwpoint I am ambivalent about the NIR Mk2 train especially in their later days. I recall winter time trips spent without heat, with very poor light so if you wanted to read you needed to pick your seat carefully. Not something which has happened regularly to me at any rate in more recent years. I like the DDs to travel in, their main failing being the positioning of the table leg which can catch you unawares as you get in or out! Some have found their ride unsettling but compared with some earlier vehicles,( like the Class 70 power cars which were on the Enterpirse for a while, or the BUT railcars - my, did they bounce at speed!) - I've rarely been uncomfortable. At present I'd be more concerned about the slowness of the journey - back in 1996/7 we were promised 1hr and 35 min non stop...where did that go?

On a modelling note, I would love to see a full rake of DDs with matching loco, I saw some coaches at Bagnor and they looked terrific - anyone yet bought such a train who could post a picture?

Colm

Here you go Colm,I think that it's only Boskonay and myself that have bought the excellent D+M model De Dietrich's so far...well worth the money

image-10726436.jpg

8208 and Mk3 Enterprise on Tara Junction.

image-1833058218.jpg

DVT 9001.

image-2188153716.jpg

Coach 9101

image-2415064521.jpg

DVT 9001 leading an up Enterprise,

I would love to see a full rake of DDs with matching loco, I saw some coaches at Bagnor and they looked terrific - anyone yet bought such a train who could post a picture?

Colm

Here's mine.

Not a D+M model but Hornby resprayed coaches.

Wiggy.

[video=youtube;QN-d-oQG3Z8]

Here is my first set

They really do look the part: I did toy with the idea once of re-painting BR Mk4s but for me they just looked too "small and rounded", compared with the very angular DDs (and most of the latest irish stock).

I think that is partly why I stick with the older stuff which i do!

Colm