shorted out loco

Rate this topic

Sulzer201

Hi lads, I think if have managed to short out a 141 class on DC track. She has ran well then suddenly stopped and will not run. Have tried her many times today and no luck. If I pop off the body is there anything I can do to test for this problem - also if it has been shorted can she be salvaged or repaired? Many thanks:(

Tommy

First thing is to find out if it really is short-circuited, or has it gone open circuit. Put it on the same track with another, good, engine - if the good one moves, then it has gone open circuit - if the good one doesn't move, then it's short-circuited. Open circuiting may just be caused by dirty wheel contacts.

Short circuiting can often be caused by things, usually track pins, being picked up off the track.

Hi Broithe - thanks for that. I did just as you advised and the good engine just towed the faulty one - I could not get a jolt out of it - no lights, no movement of any description. It is DC and I cleaned the wheels, track etc but no joy? Would appreciate any further suggestions Broithe. Tommy.

In that case it's not shorted out - you have an open circuit somewhere, which should be more fixable.

Have you looked at the back of the wheels - where the collectors rub? Is the current reaching the collectors? It doesn't take much gunge to stop conduction there.

Do you have meter? You can maybe find where the break is with that. If you have nothing at all on DC, then that would imply a fault that is general, in the sense that power is not progressing far past the wheels..

Hi Broithe,

Yes I will give that a try that sounds a good way of getting directly to the problem. I'm only hoping that the motor is not burned out. She was running well up to a few days ago and would never have the loco running on full power, maybe 1/3 or 1/2 power. Thanks Broithe - if it is burned out what will I do next? Thanks in advance. Tommy.

Hi Broithe,

Yes I will give that a try that sounds a good way of getting directly to the problem. I'm only hoping that the motor is not burned out. She was running well up to a few days ago and would never have the loco running on full power, maybe 1/3 or 1/2 power. Thanks Broithe - if it is burned out what will I do next? Thanks in advance. Tommy.

If it was the motor itself then you should still have lights..

Hi again Broithe - I got two live wires onto the picku-ups under bogies and still not a kick? no lights either. Eamonn had advised removing the chassis for a closer look. I got the handrails off but it was taking so much effort to squeeze the body at the recommended pressure points, I stopped as was afraid to force or break something. In the end I took Georgeconna's advice and dropped the loco into Marks for Jim to have a look. I will let you know how it turns out and thanks to all of you. Tommy.