Which track, code 75 or code 100

Rate this question

Dave

Question

13 answers to this question

Dave,

What vintage is your stock, particularly the locos? The tolerances of the older wheels over the vees etc. on points are a derailing issue. If it's all new stuff you have, flog the code 100, and go 75. Ask Bosko though. He has every piece of stock going :-bd and he's on code 75. R

Hmm, that's a dilemma all right. I suppose it comes down to how complex your layout is going to be, and then the proposed cost of the new track, taking into account the trade in/fleabay of your code 100. And is it worth it? I've seen plenty irish layouts here with code 100, where the track is ballasted and weathered nicely, and it overrides the overscale nature of the track.

Alternatively, you could do a massive industrial layout and bury all the track in concrete, and nobody would notice :banana:

Yeah I have a lot of code 100, its going to be a large layout. When its ballasted it would be hard to tell the difference. I was thinking if I was to stay code 100 was to use existing black sleeper track on fiddle yards and go concrete sleepers on mainline. Lots of food for thought

Code 75 is certainly much finer. Apart from the rail height, the points and flex track in general are more flexible and take shaping better (as the rail is less substantial).

Trade offs include the fact you need to replace or re-wheel / bogie any older stock and that the tolerances are generally tighter, so its easier for stuff to derail.

On the pro side, its a lot more prototypical (and less trainset) looking, its easier to lay and curve.

On balance tho, if you've already a lot of 100, I'd stick with it. You can also get peco widgets to let you transition from 75 to 100. So you could maybe buy 75 concrete track for the mainline and use the code 100 in the sidings or yards?

Dave when your up with me you can have a look at my code 100 track and that should give you an idea after seeing Boskonay's code 75 as to what way you want to go. I chose the code 100 as I've some older stock I like to run from time to time that wouldn't run on the code 75. With over 50 Lima mk3's it just made more sense to to me to stick with the code 100.

Hi,

For my money its' actually more important that you get good running from your stock first of all, whatever code - so whatever you use, go for live frog points. Some folk wire up the frogs on peco track to prevent shorts but I haven't found this necessary, certainly not on Code 100 /DC. DCc people can advise on that aspect. Both Code 100 and 75 can look great if well ballasted and track sides painted (not bright orange please!). I have found a muddy dark grey/brown shade ideal. On our exhibition layout "Killagan" we were regularly asked "is it code 75?" - it wasn't! We use Scaleway 75 on Bleach Green and its Ok but very fiddly to work with - you have to be very precise; we find that some Hornby (80s/90s) stock tends to "jump" on check rails. Personally I'd stick with Peco.

Colm