ReMotoring Athearn diesels

Rate this question

Mayner

Question

Has anyone replaced the motor in the old Athearn diesels?

North West Shortline (NWSL) and Micro Mark sell replacement motors, but I am wondering if its worthwhile.

I have an old possibly MIR B201 Class on a modified F7 frame, the original builder, possibly from the Belfast area did a beautiful job on the build and weathering, but the motor is getting on a bit.

3 answers to this question

Has anyone replaced the motor in the old Athearn diesels?

North West Shortline (NWSL) and Micro Mark sell replacement motors, but I am wondering if its worthwhile.

I have an old possibly MIR B201 Class on a modified F7 frame, the original builder, possibly from the Belfast area did a beautiful job on the build and weathering, but the motor is getting on a bit.

I've dropped a Kato motor into Athearn RTR locos with success. They're the same size as the old Athearn lump and run so much smoother. They also have the hexagonal cut outs for the Athearn drive shafts in their flywheels. 35 dollars off the Kato website. You can also buy them without flywheels and put the Athearn ones on. All you have to do is build a cradle for it to hold it in place.

Brian Banna's youtube channel shows the process in more detail.

http://www.youtube.com/user/6axlepwr

What he said above.

Plus, it can be worthwhile getting a hold of some Athearn Genesis motors (keep an eye on ebay), which are really nice, and in some models are a drop in replacement.

If the wheels are OK on the Athearn chassis that you have - ie NOT the dreadful cast iron things, replace them with NWSL equivs - there is some mileage in polish up the commutator (I use the folded edge of 800 wet 'n' dry paper, it's a VERY crude for of truing) Some people chop a coil or so off the brush springs to good effect too.

-Rob