Bus Wire purchasing

Rate this question

Pete00018

Question

Hi 

Could anyone advise where to pick up red/black bus wiring in Ireland.  I've looked online unsuccessfully. I'd prefer to purchase at home

then resorting to ordering from UK (also the shipping cost are equal to equipment in the order).

Thanks

4 answers to this question

Literally just building a bus myself. im also just using off the shelf household stuff.

https://dcc-ex.com/reference/hardware/wire-gauge.html

https://dccwiki.com/Wire_Sizes_and_Spacing

I found these two links pretty good for wire sizing info, if in doubt go for the larger size. Wires at my local shop were measured in mm2 and not awg so its handy to have the conversion table in your pocket when you get there. the feeder wires i sourced are awg and not shown in mm2 so again the table comes in handy.

the larger gauge wire is essential on larger layouts where power will be travelling over a distance and there is potential for a voltage drop. if building a small layout such issues will not be as readily apparent and you may get away with a few sets of feeder wires. there is no correct answer you just have to build the thing to suit your needs.

Happy modelling!

Find a Towbar centre. or car spares (Do you have HALFORDS etc)

The cable is sold by the meter, and you get 7 colours (Including red and black.)

just strip the outer.

For thinner wires, A charity shop is the place to go, Old SCART cables have up to 20 cores and only cost a few pence each when stripped out.