Bere island railway??

Rate this topic

Gabhal Luimnigh

I believe it was some sort of short-lived tramway put there by the British Admiralty. I don't think there were any locomotives, let along passenger stock. Often thought it would make a great little tourist attraction, provided it could be very cheaply worked!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Bit of info here:

http://www.industrialheritage.eu/2021/European-Year-Rail/ENDANGERED/IE/Narrow-gauge-railway-at-Bere-Island

"During World War One Bere Island was a strategic British military base, much of the architecture still remains, including the remains of a narrow gauge railway track, the remains of a turntable and a building which served as an engineers’ workshop with platform at the front of the building. The track ran from this building to a nearby pier. Equipment for the base was landed at the pier and transported by railway to the workshop.  The site is currently owned by the Irish Department of Defence. The track is largely intact, just overgrown in place.  The building is maintained and used by the Department of Defence."

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

I believe it was some sort of short-lived tramway put there by the British Admiralty. I don't think there were any locomotives, let along passenger stock. Often thought it would make a great little tourist attraction, provided it could be very cheaply worked!

Ya it could be a nice little tourist attraction, I fear not though.😔

• Like 1