Lough Swilly Barclay 4-6-0T details

Rate this question

David Holman

Question

Bit of a wing and a prayer for this one...

My workshop thread is now focussed on building one of these Swilly tanks. I have most of the books and have been browsing Ernie's Archive Swilly album, but a few questions remain:

• Any details of the interior of the cab would be welcome, though am guessing it will be standard Barclay stuff, so can probably look this up on the web
  • The tops of the tanks do not seem to appear in any of the available photos, & anyone looking at my Workbench thread will have seen that I've cast doubts on the Worsley etchings for this:

DSCN5614.thumb.jpeg.1956af54420db5414790f7def6040ff3.jpeg

For the life of me, I just can't see how the above arrangement would work, though if you look at the photos below, the front of the tanks are definitely profiled to match the curve of the boiler.  What I need to know is whether the top of the tanks were indeed a single sheet [a bit like a GWR Pannier] with a flat arc of the boiler poking above, or if it is just the front plating of the tanks that is flush with the boiler and the inner tanks sides are conventionally vertical behind that. Note that there are no etchings on the Worsley sheets for either boiler, smokebox or cab interior.

DSCN5623.jpeg.f8eb0a43a7af913fd651090080ea4e03.jpeg

DSCN5624.jpeg.4f62d1312f34095ae79ef80f6bca0e81.jpeg

DSCN5622.thumb.jpeg.4e4b5a5dc723691bc57d88e8a20a9b7a.jpeg

Any thoughts will be most welcome and pictures especially so!

Many thanks.

5 answers to this question

Not sure if this image posted online suggests any insights….if the tank inner follows the frame profile I’d suggest straight sides, but with tank tops extended to meet the boiler cladding. The tank fillers are certainly outboard of the frame lines.

IMG_9809.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2