00 gauge, possibly modular, initially quayside, layout

Rate this topic

LNERW1

I’m bored, time to put more of my self indulgent shite on a forum that I have already posted enough self indulgent shite on😀. I’m building my first proper layout, and I’m basing it on  the rails running along Wexford quayside like it’s 1934. Welcome to Ardree Quay (Céibh Árd Rí). It’s a completely fictitious layout, purely taking inspiration from Wexford’s example. I want to someday have a “dream layout” style setup, but don’t yet have the space. So, I’m resorting to building individual modules that I can attach to each other when I want to/ have the space. The modules will be built to be stackable, and the design is to be usable in an exhibition scenario(if that’s not too ambitious). This is the first stage, and I’ll just make it up from here. This is the terminus of the Ardree line, a 2-mile single track line connecting the Galway-Clifden line (open till the 80s in my alternate timeline) to a small port, from which sails a daily ferry to Sheehaun Island (Another fictional location, on which my garden railway is based- I enjoy creating a sense of continuity on my layouts). There are 3 stations on the line- Ardree Junction, Ardree Town and Ardree Quay. I’m starting at the quay and working my way up. After this step, the next will be a module or two between Quay and Town stations, then a module of the outskirts of Ardree, then filling in the rest of the space, perhaps with a passing loop or two, bridges, cuttings, tunnels, etc (I know Connemara hardly justifies that amount of variation, but does it really matter? One of the reasons I chose to model Connemara is because I can’t bother me arse making trees. Give and take). I look forward to building the rest of the layout. And for those wondering, this will primarily be an out-of-season pastime while my garden railway is not running (like in winter, or on rainy days). As of right now, Ardree Quay has the track plan laid out, and buildings, structures, etc. (some placeholders) are in place. Pictures to follow :D

• Like 8

39 minutes ago, Mayner said:

Garden railway modellers tend to he a hardy lot seldom let a little snow or rail stop them😄

Haha yeah, only difference between that guy and myself is that he isn’t scared of anything- he’s the same guy who blows up, crashes, sinks, drops, crushes, and otherwise mutilates any model in his collection worth less than $400 so he can film it and put it up on YouTube. You might have seen his videos- “PASSENGER TRAIN FALLS OFF BRIDGE”, etc.

Edit: the YouTuber, not @Mayner

13 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

…Pictures to follow :D

Pictures (a picture) is here.

The layout as it is now, with track intended to be corked removed for that exact purpose:

image.thumb.jpg.0a730c296265f3bb61c2df98d21ca9f4.jpg

With the track all in one piece, ready for corking:

image.thumb.jpg.13f8c4937abd0845928b2636b32a7084.jpg

I intend to cork the trackbed today.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Is there a fiddle yard each end?

The far end is going to be the end of the line, and that’s just a headshunt you see there. The other end will connect to future modules, but the first module I want to build after this is actually a fiddle yard, to attach to the current end of the line, ie whatever I’ve reached at any given point.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, LNERW1 said:

. And for those wondering, this will primarily be an out-of-season pastime while my garden railway is not running (like in winter, or on rainy days). 

Ok, so that means you will be working on this pastime about 357 days of each year?🙄

• Funny 2

B134 ready to make itself useful again!

image.thumb.jpg.45b28e49c31c9a5e7f1a9c45613126f8.jpg
Edit: I don’t think I have to clarify this, but it’s a ballast train. Just to be completely sure there’s no confusion.

2 minutes ago, LNERW1 said:

image.thumb.jpg.45b28e49c31c9a5e7f1a9c45613126f8.jpg

Just wondering- is it OK to put the ballast in the wagons, and then apply it from the wagons? (As in, scoop out the ballast with a spoon and apply it normally)

Edited by LNERW1
Context