4mm scale Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway Locomotive kits

Rate this topic

Colin R

Posted (edited)

Hi Guys

With retirement looming over the hills, I though I would try and see if i can find either 3D print or a brass etched kit of one of these Lough Class locomotives before i do retire. I was wondering if anyone on here knows of any or if it is still possible to obtains the drawings to build one from scrtch.

I would like to build it to 21mm gauge which is the only thing to make sure that it can be done.

There is one other totally freelance version and that is to use an old LMS 'flatiron' white metal kit as a basis.

Regards

Colin Rainsbury

Edited by Colin R
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

@Paul 34F may know about drawings. The IRRS certainly have the Large Tank drawings, which are effectively the same - just changes to cab and tank profiles mainly. Kirley on RM Web has built a 4mm version with Tony Ragg’s help - they may be able to rerun the etches for you. The MR Flatiron is a possibility but the distinctive wheel spacing is all wrong - only real way to capture it is scratch build. 

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Hello Colin,

I do have a GA for the large Sir Henry class 0-6-4t.  I believe Richard McLachlan scanned a similar drawing for the IRRS collection.

I haven’t done anything with this CAD related yet.  As David Holman has commented the wheels are nearly touching.

Kind regards

Paul

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Colin R said:

Yes and on a 4mm scale model, I think the centre wheel set might be better off as flangeless.

That might help. I had exact scale rods made for my Large Tank but couldn’t use them as the wheel flanges were touching so had to make up my own, making the gap between the back wheels a scale inch or so larger, and shortening the gap between the front wheels by the same amount to preserve the overall wheelbase dimensions. It still looks pretty tight even so ! 

IMG_1305.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colin R said:

Yes and on a 4mm scale model, I think the centre wheel set might be better off as flangeless.

If you're building it for 21mm gauge, P4 profile tyres will reduce the touching flanges problem somewhat.

• Like 1