GNR V Class from Hornby Compound

Rate this topic

gibbo675

Hi Folks,

Is anyone able to tell me the correct shade of blue to paint the V class locomotive ?

In fact any paints codes or numbers would be most helpful, I list below colours that I could do with having pointers to any others would be a bonus:

• GNRI locomotive sky blue
  • GNRI coach dark blue
  • GNRI coach cream
  • GNRI coach mahogany
  • CIE green 

Thanks in advance,

Gibbo.

Hi Folks,

the latest is that I have fitted a boiler band to the barrel of the boiler, beading to the cab and tender and a couple of rain strips to the cab roof.

The boiler band was the easy job as all that is required is to fix one end of some .010" x >020" squarely across the model, pull it tight around the boiler and brush some Humbrol liquid poly onto it.

DSCF2351.thumb.JPG.ce1c3ed55abd3bc12e9f2fda9e4d4601.JPG

A slight more fiddly work with the beadings as I used .020" X .020" square rod which was pre-shaped with tweezers and my thumb nail to match the profiles that is was to follow along the edges of the cab and tender sides.

DSCF2353.thumb.JPG.380653839ea6f67fd85399bf4876eaf9.JPG

The strip had been curved to shape and glued in place so far and the next bit once cured was to tweak the shape around the cab roof in stages, I work a curve and onto a straight and then wait to cure before again working a curve and along the next straight. The reason is that the straight bit is easy to hold in place and the curve may be manipulated with tweezers if it not quite right and also the straight bit holds the curve in place once the glue starts to cure. There is a tacky stage when things may be gently pushed into place.

DSCF2354.thumb.JPG.ae0c0b69c9b474d4cd546f4315462168.JPG

The cab roof complete with rain strips, the curves at the front of tender are separate pieces as there is a step between the sides and the raves at the top. The curves were fitted first and the straight bits along the tops and across the back were fitted secondarily as it is easier to sight a straight bit into a corner where it meets a curve.

Gibbo.

• Like 10
  • WOW! 2

4 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

This is a fantastic job coming along very well. Looking forward to seeing the final result….

Hi There,

Thanks for the compliment. The only thing that is holding the job back right now is finding out what paint colours are required, so if you know then by all means post a comment.

Gibbo

• Like 1

Regarding suitable paints to represent GNR colours, I have used the following:

GNR carriage mahogany: Revell Aqua Colour Mud Brown Gloss

GNRMahogany02.thumb.jpg.9b098c5164619574e50fe3cc9fc8dbb7.jpgGNRMahogany01.thumb.jpg.3f701f771aa067a5d8249466c978cd29.jpg

This produces this effect:

GNRCarriages.thumb.jpg.180accf2b7ff440db2213af0680837c4.jpg

I should probably add a wash of black to these at some point before adding GNR coat of arms decals.

Then for the GNR bus/railcar/carriage blue & cream:

Cream: Anita's All-Purpose Acrylic 1106 Antique White (it's definitely cream though!)

Blue: System 3 Acrylic 134 Prussian Blue Hue

GNRBusColours.thumb.jpg.0d653f8997fa5ebf7254c87c970865de.jpg

I used these two on my GNR buses:

GNRBus.thumb.jpg.161ed717d4d0bbef546064ea43171deb.jpg

Hope that helps!

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Patrick Davey said:

Regarding suitable paints to represent GNR colours, I have used the following:

GNR carriage mahogany: Revell Aqua Colour Mud Brown Gloss

GNRMahogany02.thumb.jpg.9b098c5164619574e50fe3cc9fc8dbb7.jpgGNRMahogany01.thumb.jpg.3f701f771aa067a5d8249466c978cd29.jpg

This produces this effect:

GNRCarriages.thumb.jpg.180accf2b7ff440db2213af0680837c4.jpg

I should probably add a wash of black to these at some point before adding GNR coat of arms decals.

Then for the GNR bus/railcar/carriage blue & cream:

Cream: Anita's All-Purpose Acrylic 1106 Antique White (it's definitely cream though!)

Blue: System 3 Acrylic 134 Prussian Blue Hue

GNRBusColours.thumb.jpg.0d653f8997fa5ebf7254c87c970865de.jpg

I used these two on my GNR buses:

GNRBus.thumb.jpg.161ed717d4d0bbef546064ea43171deb.jpg

Hope that helps!

Cheers Patrick,

Top man for the suggestions of colour shades for GNR liveries, I shall look into those. I'm rather amused to think that I'm going to have some mud brown coloured coaches tough.

Edit: I've just been looking up some colours and Humbrol 9 is listed as equivalent to Revell 80 which is interesting as I have some of that from when I painted some coaches for Thomas the Tank Engine.

Gibbo.

Edited by gibbo675
Extra information
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi Chaps,

The V Class is now in works grey ready for top coat for which I shall use Humbrol number 48 on the recommendation of @murrayec, he also advised Humbrol 109 and Ford Wedgewood Blue for the locomotive in preserved livery as did @Galteemore, thanks to both of them for that. I shall use Humbrol 48 as I didn't think a whole can of spray paint for just one locomotive was justified on a cost basis.

DSCF2456.thumb.JPG.cbbbefb01fe441ed718d733adffa58be.JPG

As may be seen there are some minor areas that the primer have picked up for remedial filling and sanding before final coat is to be applied.

I'm meeting up with Thomas who will get this locomotive as a present and so it might be the last wee see of it however, I would prefer to take it back to finish paint it for him and send it on by post another time.

Gibbo.

• Like 6