Celtic_transport Posted Sunday at 21:52 Posted Sunday at 21:52 Hi all, I seen this railway van on my travels today, situated outside Kilnaleck in Co. Cavan, wondering if anyone would know what type of van it is? Any help is appreciated. 4
jhb171achill Posted Sunday at 22:36 Posted Sunday at 22:36 Standard CIE "H" van, dating from late 1950s era and in use probably until the mid 1970s. It retains the brown livery, so it must have been in use after 1970. 4 1
Mol_PMB Posted Monday at 18:01 Posted Monday at 18:01 On the topic of H vans, what do people make of this? I’ve seen mention in official documents of a fibreglass-roofed H van, but this looks almost like a mini clerestory roof.
Mol_PMB Posted Monday at 18:16 Posted Monday at 18:16 Another interesting H van photo. On the left, 18727 is a fitted H van. To its right is an unfitted H van with the earlier or less common brake configuration - 4 brake blocks outboard of the wheels. It has its numberplate on the side of the body rather than on the underframe, but I can’t make out the number. 1
jhb171achill Posted Monday at 19:15 Posted Monday at 19:15 57 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said: Another interesting H van photo. On the left, 18727 is a fitted H van. To its right is an unfitted H van with the earlier or less common brake configuration - 4 brake blocks outboard of the wheels. It has its numberplate on the side of the body rather than on the underframe, but I can’t make out the number. Quite a lot had the numberplate on the side, including ex-GNR cement vans (number would have "N" after it on the plate). I saw 77N at Thurles just about the time loose-coupled goods was ending. 1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said: On the topic of H vans, what do people make of this? I’ve seen mention in official documents of a fibreglass-roofed H van, but this looks almost like a mini clerestory roof. Can't help thinking it's something in the background, not on the wagon.....?
Mol_PMB Posted Monday at 19:18 Posted Monday at 19:18 2 minutes ago, jhb171achill said: Quite a lot had the numberplate on the side, including ex-GNR cement vans (number would have "N" after it on the plate). I saw 77N at Thurles just about the time loose-coupled goods was ending. Can't help thinking it's something in the background, not on the wagon.....? I disagree. The telegraph poles behind are out of focus, but the clerestory is in focus.
jhb171achill Posted Monday at 19:47 Posted Monday at 19:47 26 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said: I disagree. The telegraph poles behind are out of focus, but the clerestory is in focus. True; but in classic Father Ted mode, one might be nearer, and the other far away! Can't imagine what that thing could be if it's ON the wagon, but if it was, it's not quite straight, adding to me impression it's something behind the wagon, possibly beside it. If we knew exactly where it was, a look at the same location from another angle would settle it, as it might show that there is (or isn't!) something else there.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now