Brass Kits

Rate this question

dave182

Question

Hi guys!

I'm going stir-crazy at the moment as new house equals no modelling and no money! :(( Anyways, I'll keep dreaming about the layout I'll have one day soon... In the mean time I've been slowly building up stock and doing some scratch building, and I love working with plasticard, but even thats been wrapped up for the moment in all the chaos of a move, all boxed away and all over the place!

So last weekend I finally got to carve out a little bit of space in the shed, so I at least have a little bit of workbench space, with some lighting and a heater installed. So I'm looking to get stuck in to a project, and one thing I would like to have on my layout is a small heritage line, with a little yard, really to show off models that wouldn't ordinarily belong in the era I want to model. So I'm thinking about trying a brass kit, which I've never tried before, and have absolutely no experience of working with. So what's involved? What kind of tools am I going to need?

I was thinking about a Worsley Works Park Royal or Laminate Coach, mostly because I know how they look, and there are plenty of reference pics available. Am I being ambitious as a first build?

All input greatly appreciated!

4 answers to this question

It would probably be easier to start with a complete kit than using Worsley Works parts to build a coach. The brass assembly is simple enough, forming the roof can be quite challenging and sourcing all the necessary bits and pieces time consuming and expensive.

I did a how to for New Irish Lines and Alan Doherty on the Park Royals & Laminates http://www.worsleyworks.co.uk/NG/NG_NIL_Art1.htm

The SSM 30T goods brake, Bredin coaches or one of my tin vans would probably be an easier and more economic starting point.

Thanks Popeye and John! Yeah, I actually forgot about the SSM van, that looks like a good place to start! I'll pm you over the weekend John for one of your vans too.

The Park Royal looks great Popeye, and looking at all the fiddley bits underneath, might start with something a bit easier first! Thanks for the link as well John.

Thanks Popeye and John! Yeah, I actually forgot about the SSM van, that looks like a good place to start! I'll pm you over the weekend John for one of your vans too.

The Park Royal looks great Popeye, and looking at all the fiddley bits underneath, might start with something a bit easier first! Thanks for the link as well John.