Livery Queries from a New Member

Rate this question

MikeO

Question

Hi Folks

I have just joined the forum although, over the last few months, as a guest, I have been looking at some of the threads.. I model in N gauge and my main interest is German outline. However a few years back I became a member of the N gauge T-Trak group and started to model the Irish scene.

As there is no Irish RTR in N gauge everything is either converted or scratch built. As I already had some British outline stock, these were converted, some better than others, to give a representation of Irish stock and as a consequence the scale is 1:148.

I have a couple of queries which do not seem to be covered in previous post on liveries.

The first question is about the livery of a GNR Y7 refrigerated van. Desmond Coakham in his book "Irish Broad Gauge Carriages" says they were a "desert sand" colour. I made one up using computer printed sides but made it a light grey colour. I have attached a photo of this.GSR Refrigerated van side 1 cropped.JPG

The second questions concerns Y5 and M1 vans. I not been able to find any information of their respective liveries. I have seen pictures of these on the Provincial Models websites which shows them as a bright red/brown and a bright orange respectively. Were they that bright or is this a result of the photographic process or in the case of the M1 van camera flash.

Grateful for any advice.

I have alot of other questions but these will do for now.

MikeO

5 answers to this question

The "desert sand" colour was like CIE buses were in the 80s. It was basically a light buff / brown - exactly a sandy colour. Beige, you might call it.

Unusually or Irish freight stock, vehicles painted in this livery had a black, rather than body-colour chassis. Roofs were light grey or possibly white, but darkened with steam loco coal smoke to a dirty colour very quickly in traffic.

The orangey colour on the others was in all probability the passenger livery, which when newly painted in later days tended to look a bit orangey when in sunlight. In fact, it was more brown than that picture implies. Look at colour photos of any GNR coach in the fifties and you'll see - GNR livery tended, like most brown or blue paints, to fade and deaden down quite significantly when in traffic.

If you visit Whitehead you can see former Directors Saloon No. 50 in authentic GNR livery.

Thanks jhb171achill. A very comprehensive reply. I will revise the refrigerated van initially with computer generated sides and later I will try a plastic version. I can now proceed with the M1 van which will also have computer generated sides as I am using an LMS 50ft full brake as the donor coach which does not have the same configuration of windows and doors. The Y5 van will be done in plastic as it has a fairly simple body and will look better than card sides.. They should all be done by the UMRC Show in August.

MikeO