Jims questions

Rate this question

Kon Tainer

Question

Hi all. First post so here goes. My name is Jim and I joined some time ago after pressure from WRENNEIRE (could not really say no when he stands head and shoulders over me in his usual persuading manner). I model in OO Irish Diesel, am no good at scratchbuilding so I rely on RTR stock and ready to plant buildings, etc. Anyhow, have many questions so here goes. I am planning to build a motive power depot (MPD). I intend to include the usual items - fuel point, wash, maintenance shops, etc. However in order to finalise my plan I need to know the following: When a loco finishes duty and goes to MPD for refuelling , service, etc. is there a particular sequence of movements that take place. For example - does it wash, refuel, service in the order or does some other sequence take place. Is there a standard sequence of movements for all MPDs of does it vary according to local practice. (If this has already been covered in another thread apologies - please let me know which one)

3 answers to this question

Hi Jim welcome to the forum.you sound like someone I know also called Jim. I can't really help you out with your question but I will give it a shot. Wouldn't it be logical to refuel and service the loco before washing as it may get oil etc on it although knowing CIE they are not known for doing stuff the way everyone else does. I'm probably wrong but someone will tell you. There are a good few boffins in this forum

Hi Jim and, as the others have said, welcome to the site. At a guess I'd say that it would vary from depot to depot. Also it would depend on how long the loco was going to be on shed before its next duty. Usually washing amounted only to cleaning the cab windows and around the numbers. Certainly there was no cleaning around the fuel filler area so the question of fuel spills dirtying the loco didn't arise, so the jobs could be carried out in any order.