coach lighting

Rate this question

controller

Question

Hi, I am lighting some hst 125 coaches. I am using pick-up from the wheels, with springs I have collected from old pens. I have used this idea before, and it works ok. What I would like to know is, should I be using a resistor from the bridge rectifier to the capacitor, or, just after it to the leds?. Also can anyone tell me the correct strength of the capacitor, bridge rectifier, and resistors I should be using. I am using dcc.

Thanks, Controller.

5 answers to this question

Hi controller

If you are using DCC, one should run the lights from the decoder so that you have on/off control of the lights! This would involve wired couplers- two wires, to run down the train to power the lights, then no pick-ups are required on the coaches. DCC Supplies & Gaugemaster are 2 suppliers of electrical couplers.

The resistor for the LEDs all depends on what type of LEDs your using- single?, strip of LEDs?, or other....

Capacitor & rectifier- I don't know much about in these circumstances;- I know the cap has to be huge if you want to smooth out electrical pick-up!

I would recommend sticking with the DCC system, to me it's simpler and you have control

Eoin

Hi controller

If you are using DCC, one should run the lights from the decoder so that you have on/off control of the lights! This would involve wired couplers- two wires, to run down the train to power the lights, then no pick-ups are required on the coaches. DCC Supplies & Gaugemaster are 2 suppliers of electrical couplers.

I have six of the Hornby lit Pullmans* - there's a fair drag from all the pick-ups - running a supply from the front may be a good idea for that reason also.

*or Pullmen, who knows..?

*or Pullmen, who knows..?

Reminds me of the tale:

A Kerry tailor wanted to buy two new irons (a tailor's iron is called a 'goose'), so he wrote away to the manufacturers as follows:

Dear Sir,

Please send me two gooses..........

After reading the letter he decided that this wouldn't do, so he changed it to Dear Sir, Please send me two geese............

However, he again felt that there was something wrong and that the manufacturers would be laughing at him. Finally he hit upon the following:

Dear Sir, Please send me a goose.........

P.S. While you're at it, you may as well send me a second one.

Hi ,

I agree with you , DCC is the best way to go. I do not have a permanent layout, so I would have to connect and disconnect the coaches each time I wanted to set it up. I do not do this too often, so this is not a problem. Would one good decoder be strong enough to light four or more coaches, and would I still need resistors and capacitors or would the decoder carry out these functions?. I have had a look at wired couplers at Dcc Supplies and they seem to best solution (if a little bit expensive £9.91). Thanks, Joe

Hi Controller,

Have a look at the next page or two of this link.

http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/1651-eigyro-s-workbench/page5

This system is available from D&M Models as a kit for 20 euro per coach.

-It is pre-wired so no worries about frying anything!

-It has a flicker-free system to stop the lights flickering annoyingly(essential)

-Adjustable brightness control

-Power pickups specially designed for minimal friction

-Always on with no need for the totally unnecessary complication of decoders(can still be turned off by turning brightness to zero)