Peace Train

Rate this question

Jawfin

Question

5 answers to this question

Ok, so it may be awkward and slightly infringe on the no politics rule, however, it is part of our Island's railway history. I remember being at a debate in the early '90s , feelings ran high about the peace train people, and I indeed was rather more opinionated myself back then, but it was indeed part of a wider desire to move forward and show some sort of willingness to shake off the past. I don't remember there being many actual trains. Here is a photo I pinched from the web:

image.jpg

I don't know my NIR DBSOs/DVTs well enough to make out the details of the trains on this archival video as I'm looking at a smart phone right now. The only coach I can make out at the end of the film is probably 931. They seem to have been in the bumblebee livery.

http://www.rte.ie/archives/2014/1028/655398-peace-train/

No DBSOs or DVTs in this clip. The 1st train is an 6 car 80 Class DEMU. The last coach at the end of the clip is a Brake First Generator Van. Coach 931 was a Mk 2b 2nd Class coach, which subsequently became an 80 Class Intermediate coach.

They seem to have been in the bumblebee livery. ]

The later peace trains had that ''bumblebee livery'' but like all livers they moved with the times, the earlier peace trains had the NIR red suburban livery, I travel on 1 of 2 peace trains on Saturday 29th February 1992, 1 of the organisers that day was a very young Joan Burton, now leader of the Labour Party, the 2nd peace train that day had a mixed of old and new red NIR suburban livery, an eventful day, we where stopped in Dunleer for 2 hours due to a security alert, the 9.00 Enterprise from Belfast was stopped beside us with 113 MK2 coaches, the 2nd peace train behind us was stopped at Skerries, after 2 hours at Dunleer the Gardai and a Dundalk inspector arrived in locomotives 129+181, the Gardai arriving on a 121 was amusing.

Another peace train running on Saturday 14th October 1995 with a 12 piece 80 class set was completely in the ''bumblebee livery'' as the early livers where gone.

Regards

h.gricer