Brass soldering?

Rate this question

snapper

Question

I am planning at trying my hand at some brass kits but before I spend some money on the kits I am going to pick up some sheet brass and practice my joints. I was wondering what sort of thickness brass kits usually are. Also has anybody got any thoughts on using a soldering iron vs a micro gas torch?

Thanks Snapper

20 answers to this question

Hey Snapper,

A gas torch would be a better way to go, it needs quite a bit of practice to get the soldered joint right. Too much heat can warp the brass and too little can create bad joints. You also need to heat a seem evenly across the length to get a good joint. Practice make perfect. A soldering Iron can be used but it needs to be quite big with a high heat output and is very tricky to master.

Try You Tube for tutorials. I learned how to weld through You Tube.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Snapper. A cheap 40w electric iron will do you grand as you can leave it turned on for 2-3 hours at a go. Do that with a gas one and you'll be refilling to beat the band.

Essential tools:

Wet and dry sandpaper or a fibre brush to clean the brass surface

Carrs Green flux

120 degree solder (170 degree requires too much heating)

That's it, and no need to buy extra brass, just get the kit you need and practice on the scrap material borders of the etches.

Edited by Weshty

Snapper. A cheap 40w electric iron will do you grand as you can leave it turned on for 2-3 hours at a go. Do that with a gas one and you'll be refilling to beat the band.

Essential tools:

Wet and dry sandpaper or a fibre brush to clean the brass surface

Carrs Green flux

120 degree solder (170 degree requires too much heating)

That's it, and no need to buy extra brass, just get the kit you need and practice on the scrap material borders of the etches.

Well in that case I think I have everything I need here except the solder and a kit. Where do you get your solder the only stuff I have here is 220. Where do you get your 120 solder?

Thanks Snapper

Is this the DVD you are talking about?

http://www.model-railway-dvd.co.uk/right_track1.php

Yes it is, there are two DVDs; part one and part 2. Sorry, I would've provided a link but my broadband is dead at the moment and I have to rely on the phone and memory!

If you're worried about mucking up an expensive loco kit at first then maybe get one of Westy's brake van kits. Good value for beginners such as us I think, I must order one myself.

Yes it is, there are two DVDs; part one and part 2. Sorry, I would've provided a link but my broadband is dead at the moment and I have to rely on the phone and memory!

If you're worried about mucking up an expensive loco kit at first then maybe get one of Westy's brake van kits. Good value for beginners such as us I think, I must order one myself.

Thanks, in the process of ordering one now:-bd (the break van that is)

While it may not be a master piece I am happy with how its coming along considering its my first brass kit. Hopefully I will get the chassis finished tonight.

A couple of learning points that might help anybody else thinking of doing there first brass kit.

1. Use plenty of flux, don't be stingy. It really helps the solder flow.

2. The T irons on the side of the van are rather fiddly and I would hold off doing them until you get a bit more comfortable with soldering

3. Cocktail sticks are your friend, they don’t get stuck in the solder as much at my metal tweezers

4. Mind your fingers, hot solder is hot =))

2012-07-21-031.jpg

2012-07-21-031.jpg