Lance King

Rate this topic

leslie10646

It is with great regret that I must announce the death, quite suddenly, of Lance King, an early member of the RPSI and founder of the IRRS's London Area.

Lance had been confined to bed for over 2 years now and received home care. Just before Christmas, he contracted a breathing issue and was admitted to Northwick Park Hospital in London, where he died on 2 January 2016. He had been due to return home and arrangements had been made for his return there, alas not to be.

Lance had a considerable interest in and knowledge of Irish Railways, which he photographed with considerable skill from the 1950s onwards. He founded the IRRS London Area soon after the famous All-Ireland railtour of 1964, but less well known is that he began the London-based fundraising group known as The Syndicate, which has supported the RPSI for over forty years.

A fuller tribute to his life’s work in the enthusiast community will follow.

I am sorry to hear of this news. Lance wrote a short but wonderful evocative memoir of the IRRS's 1959 railtour to Tullow, published in IRRS Journal 181, the text of which can be read here. I believe too his London Area 'Quiz Nights' will probably be fondly remembered, judging by the reports then written of in the Society's news. May he rest in peace.