"A" class farewell tour

Rate this topic

Anyone remember this?

Dare I suggest that might be josefstadt on the footbridge? Or is my eyesight getting even worse.....

It was a brilliant day out.

Note for modeller's: in silver livery, chassis (and roof) should be silver as well, not black. Whether it's this or "Ivan" the brake van, I don't know where this obsession with black paint on ironwork and bogies has come from...Hornby models probably....

The "A39" lettering would be in a font with slightly "thinner" letters, and there would also be a number on the side. This picture, on the first leg of the journey was at Greystones. I have a few more somewhere which I'll post when I find them.

I'm sure others have better pictures than mine of this day.

Full marks to the ITG for their painstaking restoration of the engine which is of course now in expert care and great form on the DCDR where travel behind it can still be enjoyed. A fine beast indeed.

image.jpg

Anyone remember this?

Dare I suggest that might be josefstadt on the footbridge? Or is my eyesight getting even worse.....

It was a brilliant day out.

Note for modeller's: in silver livery, chassis (and roof) should be silver as well, not black. Whether it's this or "Ivan" the brake van, I don't know where this obsession with black paint on ironwork and bogies has come from...Hornby models probably....

The "A39" lettering would be in a font with slightly "thinner" letters, and there would also be a number on the side. This picture, on the first leg of the journey was at Greystones. I have a few more somewhere which I'll post when I find them.

I'm sure others have better pictures than mine of this day.

Full marks to the ITG for their painstaking restoration of the engine which is of course now in expert care and great form on the DCDR where travel behind it can still be enjoyed. A fine beast indeed.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23146[/ATTACH]

A very fine locomotive. I'm so happy that she has survived. There's a lovely color picture of a brand new A3 outside Inchicore, 1955 in Colin Boocock's Locomotive Compendium p55, complete with silver chassis and thinner letters. It certainly is an impressive sight in all silver (for however long that lasted). What was the correct color for the letters?

Edited by DiveController
typo