Courtmacsherry at Southampton

Rate this topic

leslie10646

Just in case any of you live in the South of England and haven't seen Andy's superb layout, it's at the Southampton MR Exhibition this weekend.

I'll post a piccie or two later (I was there today and Andy was on great form).

Details here -

https://southamptonmodelrailwaysociety.wordpress.com

Some other pretty decent layouts.

The exhibition is very good for its demos of "how to do ....". If you're into DCC the MERG group has a whole room to itself.

Sorry that I only noticed that Andy would be there yesterday, otherwise I'd have given more warning.

He'll be showing Castlederg at Romsey on 2/3  March.

Leslie

As promised a couple of pictures of Andy's Court Mac at the weekend. I took these with my digital SLR, but my Mickey Mouse camera took better pics at Warley. However, see if you can spot the difference from last November!

DSC03090.thumb.JPG.da66f9cc5c51178279e206cdb197a18c.JPG

Yes, trees grow quickly in West Cork. When my other half asked Andy about his trees, out came some multicore wire and gave a quick demo of how to make a tree armature (I think that's the word the experts use!), followed by instructions on foliating the thing.

DSC03105.thumb.JPG.5348b45369d9f966493f8b8b9d52e532.JPG

My Warley report did not show the actual station building - it's not St Pancras, but a nice piece of modelling?

You can see how bad my photography is in that the name board is illegible and Andy appears to have a way to model ghostly passengers?

Finally, Andy brought out his little G Class with some familiar looking wagons (actually three of my Corrugateds, two SSM six planks and a SSM GNR van - no, it's not one of mine!). 

That provoked another question from the Lady - "how do you do your hedges"? Andy ducked out of sight and came back with a block of horsehair and explained who he produces his hedgerow - when he started talking about hairspray, he had her full attention ........

If any of you do get to see one of Andy's notable Irish layouts, you will find him a very good teacher on many aspects of modelling and a very approachable guy. 

Exhibition Managers take note - you get a layout (with lots happening) AND a demonstrator for the price of one man!!!!

Great to see you again, Andy. As ever, I learned something new!  Now, where's Herself's hairspray canister?

DSC03096.jpg

Edited by leslie10646
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 2

Andy, if your diary's filling up, so's mine, as I try to keep up with you. I never get bored with your work.

Now, what's all this Great Western Narrow Gauge? At least you won't be cheating and running Arigna, or Castlederg stuff to Llanfair! I'm trying to work out how many millimetres Two Foot Six is.

What period, by the way - presumably NOT the preservation era?

Well worth a detour if it is at a show in your area. Captures the atmosphere of the prototype beautifully, especially now the village street back scene is nearing completion. 21mm gauge too, which makes it all the better. Prototype modelling at its best!

Courtmacsherry is also worthy of study as what must be close to the perfect branchlike setting - regardless of prototype/gauge/company. Sea wall in the foreground, quayside siding, village street as the back scene and the loco shed [or the school] are conveniently place to hide the hole in the sky to the fiddle yard. Why the track plan hasn't been copied much [indeed, at all?] is a real mystery.