DSER Brake Van

Rate this question

KMCE

Question

3 answers to this question

I had a trawl tonight in the Catacombs and far from finding anything, it occurs to me that I've never seen any such thing anywhere! I suspect that the IRRS is the best option. 

For some reason CIE seemed to want to dispose of DSER stock with indecent haste, as few locos or coaches were still extant within the 1950s. This won't help the research, as vans from other companies, locos from as far away as the Bandon, and GSWR and MGWR coaches were commonplace even on the Harcourt Street line by the mid 1950s. I have eyewitness accounts of MGWR six-wheelers appearing on that line as early as about 1928.

Presumably you've seen the various types of GSWR ones, several of which survived in traffic into the early 1960s. 

In Ernie Shepherd's book, he mentions only about 10 goods brakes, all apparently gone by the 1950s.  We may assume only GSR and possibly GSWR vans had been used on the DSE section for years...!

Edited by jhb171achill
  • Like 1

Jonathan,

Thanks for the input. 

From my research it appears the DSER used third passenger brakes on all trains up to c. 1900 around which time they did commission / build their own goods brakes to run mainly with the cattle traffic which was then expanded to all goods traffic.  I get 10 or 11 dedicated goods brakes, so a model would be good.

@Mayner gratefully provided a photo which with a bit of work may help me develop a drawing and hopefully a model.

Watch this space........

Ken.