Help to convert a Silver Fox Class A

Rate this topic

PJR

Hi all

I looking for the best way to use a Hornby class 73 on my Sliver Fox class A. Can anyone help as to the best way to get it to fit as I not sure if I cut at both ends will it affect the proper operation of the bogie's. Any advice please.

Edited by PJR

Hi PJR. Silver fox recommend chassis (Hornby Class 50 / 52 / 55 donors) and they include instructions. Usually it involves  shortening the plastic chassis by means of cut and join, tomorrow I’ll try and dig out the instructions, scan and post them here  

noel

Edited by Noel
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, PJR said:

Hi all

I looking for the best way to use a Hornby class 73 on my Sliver Fox class A. Can anyone help as to the best way to get it to fit as I not sure if I cut at both ends will it affect the proper operation of the bogie's. Any advice please.

Hi @PJR. I scanned the SF A class kit instructions which includes how to fit a Hornby class 55 chassis. The process should be the same for other suitable plastic chassis donors. (ie cut out 73mm section of the chassis and glue the two half's back together again). I was about to use a Bachmann Class 25 chassis as a donor a few years ago until Richie pointed out to me it too that The BR Class 25 was bo-bo, but I was tempted to simply glue the co-co bogies sides over the bo-bo bogies as the 16.5 gauge wheelsest are so narrow and so far in you hardly notice the wheels. Sacrilage I know but practical for the 2ft rule as the Bachmann Class 25 chassis otherwise fits quite snuggly length wise without having to cut the metal centre drive chassis shorter. Anyway enjoy building the kit. Noel. IRM A classes due in Q4 have saved an MM 071 class donor from the cutting discs surgery bench (or will I use that for the B101 Sulzer??? :) )

Silver_Fox_A_Class_Instructions.jpg

Edited by Noel
misssteak