Northern Explorer

Rate this topic

Mayner

I haven't taken too many photos in recent years but last Friday and Saturday the Sun actually shone and it got marginally warner.

West/Northbound Metroport service behind Chinese built DL9066. These have MTU power units with a seriously noisey exhaust, the Metroport trains run to 120TEUs or 40-50 bogies, imported goods in exported Milk Powder out!

While freight has been doing very well, the future of long distance passenger services is more uncertain.

The North Islands sole remaining long distance passenger train the Overlander has been re-branded and re-equipped with new locally built Panoramic stock as the Northern Explorer replacing stock built in the 1940 & 50s.

The new train is aimed at overseas visitors as a "Tourist Experience" operating Wellington-Auckland 423 Miles on alternative days with most of the smaller stopss eliminated.

Day Car

Microwave Cafe

Observation car/generator van.

DSCF6137.jpg

DSCF6136.jpg

DSCF6135.jpg

DSCF6132.jpg

DSCF6126.jpg

DSCF6137.jpg

DSCF6136.jpg

DSCF6135.jpg

DSCF6132.jpg

DSCF6126.jpg

A Brazillian company called Frateschi does a model of the A1A-A1A version of the GM-built G12 locomotive, as NZR 322. This seems to be the only NZ item in their catologur at present though I'm fairly certain that they did a model of another type of locomotive previously and indeed some shops in Australia and New Zealand do stock a greater selection of models than the catologue lists! Google 'frateschi nzr' for some shops doing these models.

A Brazillian company called Frateschi does a model of the A1A-A1A version of the GM-built G12 locomotive, as NZR 322. This seems to be the only NZ item in their catologur at present though I'm fairly certain that they did a model of another type of locomotive previously and indeed some shops in Australia and New Zealand do stock a greater selection of models than the catologue lists! Google 'frateschi nzr' for some shops doing these models.

Thanks very much for that, I appreciate it. Didn't Frateschi release a model with very similar bogies to a 121. I remember someone telling me he used a mechanism under an MIR 121 years ago. For the life of me I can't remember when.

Rich,

Most diesels and modern steamers have a scaled down standard gauge than a narrow gauge look in order to fit through the tight tunnels on many lines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2YH-djIASE.

Several of the Frateschi locos have similar bogies to the Irish Bo Bos and 121s, the scale seems to vary depending on whether the loco is based on a South American broad or narrow gauge loco.

Rather than use the more popular scale and vary the gauge New Zealanders tend to vary the scale and use a popular gauge with an extensive range of kits available in most gauges steam diesel and electric.

9mm on O gauge is particulary impressive

Most diesels and modern steamers have a scaled down standard gauge than a narrow gauge look in order to fit through the tight tunnels on many lines http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2YH-djIASE.

Several of the Frateschi locos have similar bogies to the Irish Bo Bos and 121s, the scale seems to vary depending on whether the loco is based on a South American broad or narrow gauge loco.

Rather than use the more popular scale and vary the gauge New Zealanders tend to vary the scale and use a popular gauge with an extensive range of kits available in most gauges steam diesel and electric.

9mm on O gauge is particulary impressive

Cheers John some great info. I'll have a good look at those links tonight.

Rich,

• 4 weeks later...