Kato T Trak Module Contest

Rate this topic

MikeO

In order to answer David Holman's comment in my T Trak thread I thought I would start a new topic.

While the issue is T Trak modules none are Irish themed so I did not want to mix it up with Irish themes.

The Peco module is very good and shows how a module can be developed in ways different to the more traditional style in my layout.

The Kato contest was held in July and attracted a wide variety of styles of module themes; most were naturally Japanese orientated.

As it was a contest the result was that each was a mini stand alone style diorama where the contestants gave free rein to their creative side. That said the detail was superb with lots of inspiration .

For those interested this is the link to I think the results page. Lots of pictures and minimum text.

https://www.t-trak.jp/blank?lightbox=dataItem-k0ywxduh7me

MikeO

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It would be interesting to see more modelers adapting/developing the "ONe-TRAK" modular system developed in the States during the 1990s. One-TRAK modular layouts tended be more realistic in appearance (scenery and structures) than traditional N TRAK or T Trak modular layouts. The 15" and One-Track-Minds  groups applied similar principals in OO & S scale modelling, with group members building modules that could be incorporated into a larger layout at a group meeting or exhibition.

http://www.ntrak.org/documents/oNeTRAK_Manual.pdf

• Like 1
  • WOW! 1

Divecontroller, wacky but I thought they were very well done with a good number of modules providing ideas that could be tweaked for European layouts.

Mayner, realism is a challenge in N Gauge. Many small items are nearly impossible to make or buy and in the end may not even look right. ONe being a bigger scale makes it a little easier to get things to look right. the modules in the video are impressive and provide ideas that could be used in N gauge. I think also the longer sized modules helps to create a sense of space which adds considerably to the realism of the scenes being depicted.

There appears to be no convention requiring the track to be a specific distance in from the front of the module as in T Trak.  A number of the ONe  modules have a good deal of space at the front which allows for making more realistic scenes. Each module therefore needs to be free standing which is more feasible with the longer lengths of the modules. 

MikeO

Edited by MikeO

ONe-TRAK appears to have been devised in the late 1990s to allow more realistic operation (within an American context) and more realistic scenery by avoiding the "tile' effect of traditional modular layouts, the 15" group adapted a similar approach to 4mm British outline branch line modelling in the 1980s and more recently the "One Track Minds Group" modelling in New Zealand Railways in S Scale.  One Track Minds went for 2' wide modules to allow reasonably realistic modelling of typical New Zealand Bush and Footrot Flats countryside.

Modeler's essentially building small layouts with a modular interface.

I experimented with modular construction in N gauge with open farmed baseboards about 20 years ago though never got beyond the development stage in terms of scenery

177283476_mypicturesbackupfile2004400.jpg.f2c2392f0c7e48488d9e85ba4b98be70.jpg

Small yard with wooded mountain backdrop 12" wide 3'6" modules.

1850343608_mypicturesbackupfile2004385.thumb.jpg.ac4bb69fa258b5d21247d6a70b644101.jpg

Passing siding open frame construction 2--12"X4' modules, the original plan was to add an additional module to allow longer trains to cross.

991005776_mypicturesbackupfile2004395.thumb.jpg.f60fd75391fbeadf3d8f5834f473ad97.jpg

Tall steel trestle module interfaced with crossing siding modules.

1468385606_mypicturesbackupfile2004397.thumb.jpg.506176a0153cf6c6066d550966fa142d.jpg

Open frame baseboard construction.

Mayner

The One Track Minds layout looks very realistic a credit to the modellers skills.

Your N gauge layout looks very well even though not fully complete. A lot can be put into a small width space where the length compensates for the lack of depth. I have a German layout in the loft which is being revamped but comprises, for much of its length, a width of around 34cm.  While part of the track does run along the edge I have various amounts of track and scenery leading back from the edge towards the wall giving depth and hopefully a good degree of realism when finished. Attached are a couple of photos to show what I mean. Other parts of the layout are around 53cm in order to fit in the curves and the town area.

MikeO

762686486_Loftlayout1.thumb.jpg.be5aa6566f5d99c333bf6c1db542b180.jpg

1339302607_Loftlayout2.thumb.jpg.e3145dac1c0c6c84a28a8109cf592314.jpg

404129468_Loftlayout3.thumb.jpg.75dd4f724030fe7b9009b77011de09f6.jpg

• Like 1